Monday, January 17, 2005

I am up a bit early because...


Yesterday, Sunday, was a busy day.

There was an afternoon meeting of the English Club of Oulu to discuss the 70 year celebrations to be held in October of this year. Annikki and I were two of the first to become Life Members of this Club. Annikki had a stint as Chairperson running the Club in the 80's (after having been the kindergarten teacher for the Club) when she was one of the most active ever. Lunch, on the house, was the very traditional Salmon Soup, rather a filling and delicious Finnish preparation.

As soon as I got home, Annikki informed me that there had been a call from the Oulu Railway Station as a new but dear friend from WIPRO who was passing through. I caught up with Abey Thomas from Kerala / Bangalore and 3 of his colleagues, one from Trivandrum, the second from Bangalore and the third from Mumbai at our favourite eating haunt on Oulu, Michelle's Royal Garden Chinese Restaurant - Michelle being from Calcutta. Unfortunately, Michelle is holidaying in India with her three kids, so the food was only second best.

I picked up a meal for Joanna, Tony and Samuel, as Joanna has been suffering a nasty bout of tonsilitis and little baby Daniel has a bad chest. While they enjoyed their meal, I had the privilege of walking around with my 8 month old grandson.

Got home to find Annikki had cooked a delicious chicken curry and made her own speciality India roti, which is cross between a tandoori nan and a paratha.

Off to bed after a couple of chats on Skype with friends and up again now at 2 am for another exciting week.

However, the reason I am blogging so early is because today is the 17th anniversary when my very dearest cousin, K. C. Mammen (Kunjumonchayan) of Bangalore passed away. Those of you who did not have the opportunity of knowing Kunjumonchayan, he was the most loving affectionate person on this planet. Having lost his father, K. M. Jacob (Chackochayan), from whom I got my name, and one brother (Anian) when very young, he lost his second brother, Roy, in the mid sixties, also at a young age.

To me, Kunjumocnchayan was more than just a cousin, or even an elder brother. Once, when I had a difference of opinion with my father, it was Kunjumonchayan who diplomatically ironed out our problems!!

When I was living in Bombay, he came to gain work experience and stayed at the YMCA which was behind our house. He used to be over for the Sunday meal at our home, which was also huis home. In the meanwhile, I used to run over and meet up with him in his room almost every other day. He was always fun and games and forever smiling and happy. There was never a care in the world if you were with Kunjumonchayan!!

I often wonder why God takes away the people who provide so much joy to all around them so early in their life. I think of his dear mother, Palammachi, who has over the last 63 years seen her husband and then her three children taken away from her. My heart bleeds for her. However, at the age of 86, she is blessed with a wonderful daughter-in-law, three lovely grandchildren and greatgrandchildren, all of whom are in my mind every single day as I remember my dearest cousin of all who is no more but lives in my heart every hour of the day.

No comments: