Wednesday, April 09, 2008

Has Oulu International School started teaching Rubber Technology?

When I was studying Polymer Science and Technology in the London School of Rubber Technology, England in the early 60s, my lecturer in Rubber Technology used to say that formulating a rubber mix was much like cooking.

A pinch of this and a pinch of that.

When a rubber tyre is being made, it consists of several components, the carcass and the tread being the visible outer ones. The tread is the thick rubber around the tyre which carries the moulded pattern which defines the type of tyre it is - for wet use, for snow, for ice, for racing, etc.

Imagine my surprise when I saw this yesterday on the Introduction TV Screen when I went to pick up Samu from the Oulu International School (OIS).



It appears that the OIS CHEF is teaching the kids to cook the formulation to produce treads in the Happy Chef's Club! Rubber is a messy profession, quite unlike plastics, but I guess one can make a living out of it!

Well done OIS! :-)

But the signs (there are two of them I have seen) in Oulu which really give me a thrill are the ones at the International SAS Radisson Hotel -


A Quest for the Guest?


Please do send me pictures of signs which are fun.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

http://www.geocities.com/athens/forum/4737/dravid1.html

Similarity between Malayalam and Finnish Language;) I found this amusing!