Sunday, October 25, 2009

The next day

The wedding continued on Day 2 with a photograph session at the grooms house followed by the blessing and prayers and on to the church service and a reception in the grounds of the new Malayala Manorama printing press. The evening was the final reception at the groom's house. Radhika Mammen sang a song - what a powerful and superb voice. I remember her as a small girl in her grandmother's room being coaxed to sing for us, which she did. If I manage to track down that video I will be come a millionaire overnight! (Her father, Jayan, told me that he had been trying to persuade Radhika to keep her voice trained - so I guess he does not know she is singing in the bath every day! Great voice and great personality at so young an age - she can go as far as she wants.)

I have photographs galore and I will upload them when my server on Finland responds.

The people who attended were the ordinary folk, the mass of the 6000 guests being workers from all the units of the Malayala Manorama enterprise. No doubt many leaders from media, industry, commerce and education were there, but they were all part of the crowd. A couple of Ministers dropped in but they were not any special guests.

Many Stephanians of my generation (Abe Tharakan, George Vergese, Col. Jose Vellikappan, Rajen, Thambi, Suresh, myself) to the present (Anu, etc., etc., - many many Mathews) were there. Many of the groom's cousins and their wives / husbands, who were Stephanians were there, so much so that Abe Tharakan, a Stephanian of my era 1960 - 1963, commented to me that St. Stephen's was intending to change its name. They were planning to call it St. Mathews - as it was being dominated by this family! :-)

My "Grow Fat Cheaply" theme got a lot of people shying away from my camera, as who could resist the wonderful food on offer. The lunch was simple - a Mutton Biryani - and it was superb. Tables were laid for 12 people with papads, a tamarind plum sauce, a lime pickle, Boli (famous from Mrs. K.M. Mathew days) and the rice paysam prepacked. The large serving dishes with piping hot mutton biryani arrived and it was consumed with gusto. One of the finest biryanis I have tasted.

Most people went on to greet the bride and groom. And then it was to have a rest and get ready for the evening session,

The food in the evening was catered by the Taj group. Again an outstanding spread and I had to hold myself back as the biryani was still lingering around. I was pleased that the soft drinks on offer were tender coconut juice and lychee juice. Both most refreshing.

We got back at midnight and try as I might to upload the photographs to my Finnish server, I just could not. This typing table is too low, so I cannot sit for long to write this, but I promise when I move from Windsor Castle to a more comonn address, I will describe the occasions in greater detail and also try different techniques to get the fabulous photographs of my wonderful, extended, simple family, uploaded somewhere where they will be accessible.

Today I have started my work programme with two meetings scheduled through the day. I am having problems getting credit to my mobile phone. I paid the operator Rs. 1000, as I have already run through the first thousand, but they have not been able to upload a cent. I am down to the last few rupees, so I expect to be out of credit in a few hours.

No comments: