Thursday, December 10, 2009

Closing down

The stay at the Malayala Manorama Guest House has been perfect. The atmosphere inside and outside is serene.


The garden in front of the Golf Links Guest House.


Thank God I checked my flight plan yesterday. I was under the impression that we were leaving Delhi on Saturday morning. I thought I had my last crucial appointment in Mumbai on Saturday evening. When I checked my diary yesterday, I found that the appointment in Mumbai was on Friday evening and our flight booking was for noon on Friday.

I had lots of programmes scheduled in Delhi for Friday, which I had to cancel or rearrange. Navin Behl, my friend and travel mate from our 1964 trip from London to St. Tropez (before Brigette Bardot made it famous) and back in an old Bedford van, along with friends Ashok Kapur, Ajit Mehra, Noel Ezekiel and Viney Sethi, was scheduled for lunch on Friday at the Golf Club. That has been brought forward to a meeting at his office in Gurgaon on Thursday afternoon. I was to meet my nephew (Ashwin Thomas) and his wife in town on Friday evening, as they live far out of town in Gurgaon. I will also meet them on Thursday evening at Gurgaon, saving them a long hike into town.

Annikki and I had been invited to take part in the Philosophy session at St. Stephen's College to give our view of life in Finland vis-รก-vis India - that programme had to be dropped. Also, I had planned to attend the Carol Service on Friday evening at the College - that had to be dropped.

With the sudden change of programme, I was worried that the glasses we had ordered for Mika would not be obtained. They were promised for delivery on Friday evening. Yesterday evening I took a chance to go there to ask them how we should proceed. I was very pleasantly surprised to find that the glasses had already been received. So that was one more headache not created! Thanks guys.

Many friends could not be met because of the lack of time, and not, as in Bangalore, the inability to move around. Delhi transportation, although bad, is much superior to Bangalore. I was able to keep all my appointments within a couple of minutes of the scheduled time!

Annikki has been unwell for a few days, so our trips to Agra and Chandigarh were also dropped. She would not have been able to stand the strain of a drive there and back.

I am not reporting on my meeting with my cousins, as much water has to flow under the bridge before I can comment on the discussions, if at all. We had a wonderful get together and laughed our guts out over lunch at the India International Centre. We joked and pulled each others leg as only we can. It was a wonderful afternoon of three cousins and one nephew (but bracketed with us cousins) and Annikki. Before we realised it, it was time for them to take off to their respective destinations.

Annikki set off on her own to a couple of shops she had seen advertised in the newspaper. She had a traumatic time as nothing they offered in their ads was available and the shopkeepers, as they did not have her size in the clothes she wanted, kept trying to sell her men's clothing. She came back, traumatised, after a couple of hours. I was glad that Salegram, our driver, stayed at her side throughout! Oh for the wonders of dear friends.

Yesterday, I also managed to meet some of the Technical Team (Project Coordinator S. C. Jain and PCS/ Unit Manager V. D. Dubey) at the AFPRO (Action for Food Production) NGO programme and had a very valuable discussion about their work on Check Dams, Gobbar Gas Plants, as well as their entire rural development programme. Maybe there is still some hope for our Rural Urbanisation programme as such organisations know how to get the Government Funding mobilised, and when they have honest and competent people manning the different levels of their organisation, they can still be effective. I hope to be doing more with AFPRO, especially in some of the work we are planning in Zambia.

The trauma with ICICI Bank sees no end. They have goofed, big time, yet again and again. It is a tragi-comedy of enormous proportions and it grows bigger by the hour! Today I will meet the Regional Manager in New Delhi and see what explanations he can come up with, what worthwhile apologies can be obtained. I will explore whether it is at all worth looking at this bank as a partner, especially as there are several large investments to be made or realigned over the next few months. I doubt that it will turn out positive, knowing the mindset of such persons in authority.


Transformed. Do I keep this image on returning to Finland?


Those who know me, know that this is NOT me! I am the carefree type, not the suited, booted one. The real question is whether I should stay transformed on my return to Finland? :-)

I am also going for my check up this morning in a diagnostic clinic to see whether there has been any improvement since I have been on medication since Chennai. Hopefully, once I get back to Annikki's dietary control in Finland and my stricter daily schedules there, the blips that we are seeing will vanish. But today will tell me whether I should continue the medication that has been prescribed - which is a nuisance, taking 7 pills a day!! That is for a person who has never taken any pills in his adult life!

2 comments:

ICICI Bank Care said...

Dear Jacob

We apologize for the inconvenience faced by you. While we attempted to deliver the ATM Card & PIN as soon as possible, due to certain security reasons we were unable to adhere to the expected timelines. Also upon receipt of the said password, it was incorrectly entered into the system causing further delay.

We did issue you a 5-leaf chequebook to help you carry out your fund transfers. Besides, we helped you make a payment to one of your vendors by sending an executive over to Syndicate Bank to deposit cash on your behalf. The receipt for the cash deposit was also handed over to you.

Now, we understand that the ATM card & PIN number has been received by you. We have done our best to help you keeping in mind the security & policy constraints we faced.

We do admit that perhaps the issue could have been addressed in a smoother manner, and being a customer-centric organization, we are taking your feedback seriously. We would like to request you to treat the delay as an exception and not judge us on the basis of this event.

We thank you for your continued patronage.

Please feel free to write to care@icicibank.com for any further assistance.

Thanking you
ICICI Bank Customer Service Team.

Jacob Matthan said...

ICICI CustomerCare: You must be joking thinking that this issue will just go away.

We assure you it will not, and it will go even up to the Banking Ombudsman, if we need to get justice.

You ruined our holiday. You embarrassed us in front of many hundreds of people including our friends, Jacob's classmates, and even shopkeepers. You made our suppliers lose faith in our words. You have made us incur huge additional costs!

This is while your staff told lie after lie! This is while they misled us again and again!

Your Delhi branch issued us a bank cheque book AS Jacob was parked in your bank for many days for many hours. You sent a man to Syndicate Bank as you had no option and you could not get our online internet banking working.

And your accusation that Jacob entered wrong data is incorrect as he entered the data in front of your staff! And that to 4 times - once i Ahmedabad and 3 times in New Delhi!

You have resorted again to absolute lies on your part!

If you read the last blog entry before we left India - the PIN given to us before we left did not work before we LEFT INDIA. See the attachment which reads "Transaction Declined". We do not think it works as we are now in Finland and unable to use your cards any longer!!!

And your pittance of help was only because I SAT there in your bank!

For your information, complaints against ICICI from around the world are pouring in even now. Let the can of worms open up.

We are not concerned about inconveniences. We are concerned about our financial losses, our embarassments, our schedules,

The latest from a Delhi Customer, very close to home for some of you:

"I have huge problems with ICICI. Their printed statement showed I had a credit balance. Their sms on my phone said they had stopped my card for defaulting on payment -- the amount was rs 250/- and closing the card seems to be impossible. I once cut it up and sent it to them. They sent me a new one!"