Tuesday, January 05, 2010

Frozen banana

In all my 25 years in the Arctic, I have never forgotten any food in the back of the car, especially in winter.

Well, finally I did it. Two bags, one containing bananas and the other containing some nice seedless green grapes, dropped out of my shopping bag onto the back seat of the car. I left them there overnight.

When I reached office the next morning I saw a brown mass in a plastic bag, and wondered what it was.

When I took it ou,t I found the banana bunch, hard as rock and the colour had turned from a golden yellow to a brown.

I ciút one open with a knife.



After it thawed, I tried to eat it, but there was no taste. As it got up to room temperature, the banana was mushy and uneatable.

Not so with the grapes. They too turned to brown, nearing red, making them closer looking to red grapes. (Is this how red grapes originated?)

I did not try a hard grape, but as they thawed the flavour had not deteriorated and it was just a superficial colour change.

As they say, you live and learn.

No comments: