Saturday, August 07, 2010

Sadly Unused


Grandson Dsniel in the traffic park in Oulu

I was driving on the back streets of some of Oulu's residential colonies during the last couple of days. I saw many beautiful children's playgrounds.

I felt very dejected as I did not see a single child using these wonderful facilities.

On the other hand I visited the high street, and there I saw many mothers and fathers all sitting in bars and pubs happily enjoying themselves.

I do not begrudge them their enjoyment, but when their children cannot be in the parks on our Indian summer days, it left a very sad and lonely feeling in me.

I know that when my grandkids came to Finland, their greatest enjoyment was being taken to the parks by me so that they could shout and play in gay abandon with all the different equipment in the parks.

I had many "secret" parks all over the city to take them to, and they simply loved to be there, not for 5 or 10 minutes, but right up till the time I would get a bollicking at home!

No comments: