Tuesday, April 19, 2005

Celebrate the 86th Birthday

Please join Annikki and me in wishing a wonderful lady, known to most of us as Pallammachi, a very happy birthday today. She is a very graceful 86 years.

Pallammachi at Succhi's wedding 1999

Pallammachi at Succhi's wedding 1999


How many of you know that I was named Jacob after her late husband, my uncle, K. M. Jacob, who was known as Chackochayan. He passed away tragically in the Chikmagalur Estate way back in 1941. I was born in 1943. My mother decided that I should have the name of her late brother.

Pallammachi has been a picture of great courage, in the face of much tragedy in her life. Besides her husband, she lost all her three sons, Anian, Roy and then Kunjumonchayan, in their prime. Despite this, this gracious lady has lived a life dedicated to God and her families, both in Pallam, as well as her in-laws, who considered her as one of their most important members. She is blessed with a most loving daughter-in-law, one of my dearest friends, Bibikochamma, three grandchildren, Anil, Roy and Rachel, who have wonderful partners, all of whom dote on their grandmother, and a few great grandchildren.

Kochappachen, the late K. M. Mammen Mappillai, who headed MRF, would never make a major decision without discussing it with Pallammachi. He valued her words and that of his sister, my mother, as two outsiders of the mainstream family business, and it was this that made sure that the whole family stood together through many trials and tribulations, for many many years.

Happy birthday dearest Pallammachi.

No comments: