Saturday, October 21, 2006

I went to a football match

I took time off today to go to a football match today - AC Oulu against a team from Helsinki called Atlantis.

This was a crucial match for both teams. If AC Oulu held on for a draw they would get promoted to the top football league in Finland. Atlantis needed to win to be able to get there instead of AC Oulu.

I had intended to go, as Soda was going and he was going to be a ball boy. Yut was also wanting to go. As a pensioner I would have to pay Euro 5 for my entry and Yut would also have to pay Euro 5 as a student to get in.

I went home to get some warm clothes on. As I was checking my email, my private phone rang. It was Christian Thibault, my German friend from Helsinki. He said he was travelling by coach along with the supporters of the Atlantis team, they were 50 km away from Oulu, and asked whether I would be attending the match.

I said I would. I asked him to get me a couple of free passes for Yut and me. He said he would organise that.

We reached the ground, and it was filling up fast.


The Oulu crowd poured in.


It seemed as all the football lovers of Oulu, over 4700 of them had decided to turn up to witness this match.


The teams warm up.


The supporter strength of Atlantis was just 20! So I decided to stand with Atlantis and dragged poor Yut to play the drums for the Atlantis side. I had a wolf whistle to blow in tune with the drums and bells.

We met a young Chinese friend, Kevin, at the field. When I asked him why he was here, he told me he was reporting live on this game to China as it was listed in the betting sheets there!

An Oulu game on the betting sheets in China?


Johnny, a great footballer during his time had
travelled to Oulu with the Atlantis side.


Many many Oulu friends were at the game. They were astounded to see ME standing with the Helsinki side supporters. A supporter of Oulu Football for over a decade and a half and I was siding with the opponents!


Christian, the big guy playing the pipe and Yut,
playing the drums (not visible) were among the lonely
but quite loud 22 Atlantis supporters mingled amongst
4700 Oulu supporters!


The game was rather one-sided as Oulu were a class better on this day. They won 2- 0 without too much hassle. The Atlantis side played a lousy first half till they changed a couple of players. Then they started to play better. they missed a couple of sitters, while Oulu converted two of their chances. Oulu was well on top by then.

I was glad as I was well clad, but my feet froze. Although the temperature was just around -1 C, when you stand around, then you get chilled. If you are constantly moving, then you do not feel the cold. I was glad that Annikki had made me put on my woolies. Wished she had checked my socks and shoes also!

No comments: