Sunday, October 29, 2006

An old friend checks in

Yesterday I received an email from a very old friend:

Dear Sushil,

It was such a pleasant surprise coming across your blog. A brother of mine happened to see the portion about St. Joseph's and hockey (January, 2005 issue)and suggested that I look it up. I was happy reading it but there was a tinge of sadness as well while going through the part about Kunjumon. He was such a fine person.

Now I'm going through the other postings on your site. They make interesting reading. I must congratulate you on the presentation and the language. You write really well. I am also impressed with the list of your publications and other career highlights.

The last time we met, I think was at Grand Hotel, Ernakulam where you had come for some meeting, decades ago. I was unaware that you had settled down in Finland. Otherwise, I would have loved to look you up while in Sweden some years back on work.

Your family is familiar from the postings in the blog.

If you have the contact details of Atul Shenoy and any of the St. Joseph's hostel inmates during my time there, 1951-55, please pass them on to me.

Will you kindly drop a line in reply?

Regards to you and family.

Sincerely,

Abraham Tharakan.


Abe was my dear friend in 1952-1953 when I was just 10 years old. He was a college student who lived in the hostel across the road from us in Bangalore. He was s superb hockey goalkeeper and that was why I became a goalkeeper in my life in Bombay and then Delhi.

Nalini Wedding Photo 1959


Today, I remember my sister, Nalini, who passed away 46 years ago.

Well that is life.

No comments: