Thursday, December 28, 2006

Some odd issues of today

Yesterday was a day of waiting, as, despite it being a holiday for their department, the Office of Equipment Loan for Invalids, delivered, and then sent their technician to set up the motorised bed for Annikki's mother.



This is an electrically operated hospital style bed. It will make life much easier for both Annikki and me, and also much more comfortable for Hilja.



As I woke up this morning, I caught site of this glass display set up by Annikki of the beautiful glass objects given to us as presents by several of our Thai friends.

I remember the wonderful collection of glass objects given to her by skilled artists from north Karnataka, at the Mysore Exhibition. Sadly, those objects were destroyed when we left them with our belongings in India in 1984.



This last snap is one which is the cover of Annikki's book, "...for the hour of His judgement is come:...".

This was one of the first books published on the internet, way back in 1995-6.

On Christmas day, I had an email from a young Bangladeshi boy in Bangalore who is suffering the same trauma that Annikki went through over 25 years ago.

The young boy is being played like a violin by unscrupulous lawyers and others as he lives in fear of deportation which will affect his entire life.

He wrote to me a few days ago saying that the lawyer who is handling his case has already decided that there is no hope for him. She is prolonging his agony in Court so that he can complete his studies before being deported.

This, in my mind is criminal behaviour by the lawyer. Justice delayed is justice denied.

I told this youngster that when I was fighting Annikki's case, I did not depend on one strategy. I had at least six different lines of attack to fight for my wife's innocence. Only one depended on the lawyers, who fought the issues based on some of the aspects. I took up the matter with strongly worded petitions which clearly laid out all the facts, to several levels of people, including the Chief Minister and the Home Minister of the State, the Chief of Police, the Finnish Embassy in New Delhi and the Finnish Government in Helsinki, the Indian Central Government Home Ministry, plus the conscience of the Judges involved with the matters. In addition I had high profile individuals who believed in my wife's innocence to help with my petitions. This included well known industrialists, respected persons of the judiciary, and leading politicians who knew us intimately.

Those were not the days of computers. I can still remember sitting many nights penning each petition in a manner that was powerful with words that would move the minds of the strongest of men. I did not depend on typists to write those words. They had to flow from my mind through my veins to the paper to be truly moving. Each powerful stroke of the pen was filled with the innermost emotions of only a man who was possessed with the devotion to justice could put on paper.

It was only this combination of high profiled attacks that ensured that there was no miscarriage of justice. Too many people knew the entire background of the case to make a move which would result in the miscarriage of justice. I did not depend on the media - I was the media as I carried the message to every place that it had to reach!

If one depends on just one line of attack to prove one's innocence, it is just not going to happen.

But, above all, trust in one's Lord and Master of this Universe is required.

That was from where Annikki, with her deep faith, fought her battle from. That was why she received true justice after so much anguish.

Her book, even as I read it for the hundredth time, is truly gripping right till the last chapter!

And every word of that is the true reflection of her faith in a Superior Being.

My heart bleeds for this youngster in Bangalore, but it is impossible for me to fight his case from 7000 km away! But what I can do is pray for him.

1 comment:

Pluchkine said...

hi!

may i asked u something?
i'm from saint-petersburg, I seek for the some finnish firms or shops which make equipment for invalids. May be in Helsinki or somewhere else?
U occasionnally mention certain "Office of Equipment Loan for Invalids" - so, I decide to ask u about that. In intrnet i 've find nothing...