Wednesday, May 02, 2007

Peelukuttychayan - 95 today! Happy Birthday!

I have not heard from my cousin, Suresh, for some time, so I hope all is well in Mumbai.

Annikki and I would like you all to extend Birthday Greetings to Peelukuttychayan, also known to many as Pappa, and to the world as Mr. K. M. Philip, former World Y. M. C. A. President. He is also known as the grandfather of the Indian Rubber Industry. He was instrumental in taking MRF from a being a Tread Rubber company to being a tyre producer. It happened due to a chance meeting with Mr. James Hoffman in a Y. M. C. A. in the USA.

His fresh tea and coffee shops that populate Mumbai stand as a honour to his dedication to service of the people of that great city.


Peelukuttychayan (extreme right) enjoying a drink in the company
of his brother-in-law, Dr. V. Kurian (Jollychayan) of Anand fame!
(Taken in 1999 at Suchi and Michael's wedding reception in Chennai.)


Peelukuttychayan is 95 today. He is my late mother's elder brother.

Happy birthday to you from both of us, Annikki & me, in Finland.

No comments: