Thursday, February 11, 2010

Is it worth it?

Google announced its entry into the social networking by adding another bit to its Gmail web presence. They are trying to fight Twitter and Facebook - but it is my humble opinion that they are overstepping the mark with the introduction of their new "Buzz".

As it is, even with my 20 MBps site which is usually running at about 11 MBps, Google Gmail is SLOOOOW. I usually have to run it in the Basic format so as to get anything to load in a reasonable time.

That was the reason why I moved away most of my computing from from Yahoo to Google.

I generally appreciate the many Google products that I use. They include, beside the Search Engine, Gmail, Documents, Blogger, Translate, Groups.

They are all independent and work quite well as stand alone.

However, once you try to link them up, it really slows down the whole operation.


Gmail after 15 minutes of trying to upload a profile in Buzz!
Note the "Still working" dialog in yellow at the top.


Today, when I started to use Buzz, which can only be used in the Standard Mode of Gmail, it was more than Slow - it just hung my Gmail. The only way to regain control was to Reload the page and move to the basic format!

What is the point of adding another social networking site when I am quite happy with Orkut.

This appears to be a desperate and frantic cry from Google that they are unable to keep pace with Twitter and Facebook with Orkut, so they have launched Buzz as an antidote.

I think they are making a serious mistake. If they continue down this line, not only will they lose Orkut, but also Gmail to anyone who comes along with a reasonable amount of storage and a good search engine built in.

Picasa is not much use to me any longer as I have reached the end of my free uploads level. Google has not updated its payment method to include those that do not have credit cards. That is now becoming not much use.

My advice, as a Google early adopter, is to forget BUZZ, and concentrate on making Orkut much more international than it is presently. Trim Gmail to mail essentials. Increase the capacity in Picasa, and start a sectional approach instead of trying to be everything to everybody.

Competition is good and allowing some other players as Facebook and Twitter to coexist, only makes Google more interesting. Cutting the competition is never a good sign or a good strategy. It shows weak and shifting leadership at the top.

At the moment I am quite happy working with Gmail, Facebook, Twitter, Orkut, LinkedIn, SiliconIndia, Plaxo, Pulse, Geni, Google Groups, Yahoo Groups, and a few more.

BUZZ is a wrong move in this equation!

No comments: