Tuesday, May 18, 2010

The birch sap flow ends

Someone commented that the title of Lady Annikki was not just good enough - I agree! How can I make my Queen a mere "Lady"? :-)

Annikki's dramatic discovery of how to draw on the birch liquid (sap) brought her over 30 litres in a few days.

All good things must come to an end.



From New Album 16/05/2010 06:40

An overnight haul of precious birch sap from one small branch.


The sap, which was crystal clear for the first few days, slowly became cloudy and finally, as the first signs of leaves appeared on the branches, nature acted in its best interests and shut off the tap.

Strangely, the taste of this sap has a faint tinge of coconut water? I wonder what is the relationship between a coconut palm and a birch tree.

Annikki is ooking forward to the next year of tapping. I am sure she will devise some simple gadget to get the maximum flow from the broken twigs and branches! :-)

No comments: