Monday, November 06, 2023

Paddy Feeny gets challenged


His intro to himself - late Paddy Feeny

Nowadays, when I visit an Indian household in Oulu, what I notice is an enormous TV in the living room.

When we arrived in Finland. A family of 6 living in about 25 sq. m. area, I looked around and found a black and white 4” (10 cm) tv with a short wave radio. 

My in-laws had a colour tv in their living room, but we preferred to stay in our small living space. Only when Elton John or the Eurovision song contest were on, which was well after my in-laws had gone to bed, would we go down and watch the larger tv.

During the day Mika and I would be glued to a short wave Sony radio listening in the main to BBC World Service while Annikki tuned in to her small kitchen Grumdig Radio listening to the Finnish radio service. 

Only in the evening would we all crowd around the tiny tv to watch Finnish news and programs.


Being a sports addict, Saturday afternoons, Mika and I would tune into Saturday Special, BBC’s sports round up hosted by their top sports commentator Paddy Feeny.

Paddy Feeny was going upwards, and was also given the job to host the Write On programme which was to air readers views.

There was no internet those days so I wrote my letter to Paddy Feeny.




Two page letter to Paddy Feeny

I was not happy with the way the programmes were hosted, so I addressed my complaints to Write On (again Paddy Feeny).

Personal reply to me from Paddy Feeny.

Within 2 weeks, I received this short reply from Paddy Feeny.


My letter thanking Paddy Feeny for the corrections made!

My minute by minute analysis showing 
the benefits of the changes!

I wrote to Paddy after watching the progress for three weeks.  I was glad to report that my views had been taken into account and Paddy and the producers had made modifications to the programme to take into the criticisms submitted by me.

The moral of this post is that if you have a problem, express your views and make the constructive suggestions. 

If the person receiving this information is intelligent, he will assess it and make the amendments and corrections and acknowledge them publicly. 

If the person is insecure and insincere, and surrounded by sycophants and those drunk on personal power, what will happen is that the situation will never be addressed and all sorts of subterfuges will be adopted to cover their insecurity and incompetence.

35 years later in life, we find that human behaviour has not changed.

Maybe some people in Oulu should think about the morality of this story!

No comments: