Saturday, July 16, 2005

Gambian Saikou Marong

While on my walk yesterday, I came across a new shop near the town centre.

CT CyberTele

CT CyberTele, Oulu


My Zambian friend, Kamu, had told me that it was a new venture by someone I had met through another couple I know, Dorota and Patrick. I wandered in and found the Gambian, Saikou Marong, the owner of the place greeting me with all smiles.

Unlike most Africans who come to Finland, Saikou decided that he was not going to get trapped in a low paid job. So he joined a management course. Then has set up this Internet cafe, a international calling centre, plus a few other services, including as an Agent for Western Union, to transfer money in real time to any part of the globe. He also markets low cost phone cards for use with land lines and mobile phones. He has four computers to run his internet cafe and also has coffee, tea and soft drinks automats in place. The place is neat and tidy and has a very welcoming feeling, which is by no small measure the broad smile on Saikou's face!!

Truly a fine effort on his part.

So I decided to pay him a second visit with my camera, which I did today. I captured him, and also another old friend, Ghanian Peter Owusuu, who is an up-standing and long-standing member of the Oulu African Community.

Saikou Marong, Proprietor of CT CyberTele

Saikou Marong, Proprietor of CT CyberTele


Saikou Marong with Peter, another long standing member of the Oulu African community

Saikou Marong with Ghanian Peter Owusuu, another long standing member of the Oulu African Community


I noted that Saikou is planning to offer Proof Reading services, something I used to do for the last 18 years before my retirement. He has lined up some good proof readers. This should be useful for many Finns in Oulu University and VTT who want to have their scientific articles, Masters and Doctoral theses checked.

I hope all of you will assist in helping to get Saikou off the ground, as this is truly a historic effort. Saikou needs all the help he can get.

Contact Details:
CT-CYBERTELE
Tele Center Worldwide
Call Shop
Rautatiekatu 16 M 7
90100 Oulu, FINLAND
email: smarong@hotmail.com
Telephone: + 358 50 543 4288

No comments: