Saturday, July 09, 2005

Ghostly feeling in Oulu Park

I went for my daily walk today. It was blisteringly hot, so I changed my route to walk along the stream which runs through the town and through the main park where the City Museum is located.

As I was strolling casually, I suddenly felt as if I was in a ghostly place. Healthy trees were around me but then I noticed that several trees shrouded in a white spider web like cover which had killed all the leaves and even the bark was fully enveloped by this white thick killing mantle.

Tree shrouded by spider web like covering 01

Tree shrouded by a spider web like cover


Tree shrouded by spider web like covering 02

Tree shrouded by a spider web like cover
showing even the bark affected by the insect attack


For a moment I too felt claustrophobic. I had never seen this effect in Oulu before.

I was frightened. Would I carry this infection back to the Kampitie garden that Annikki was so carefully tending.

I treaded carefully, just taking enough time to get a couple of shots of this effect from a reasonable distance. Then I was out of that deadly place!!

When I got home, I asked Annikki whether she knew of such an effect. She assured me that it was quite common around here but she did not know what it was and what caused it.

Not being a botanist, my search on Google did not reveal much. Anyone who can give me an explanation will be toasted!!

No comments: