Wednesday, September 28, 2005

Interesting day

I had to get my old car certified today. I first took it to my regular mechanic who tested it, repaired a couple of things and said that there were only very minor problems, so it would be better to get it tested so that he could repair them when the official test report was issued.

I then went to a small private testing place in Ruusko, which is located directly opposite the big Government test centre.

Konetien Katsastus Oy

Konetien Katsastus Oy


Called Konetien Katsastus Oy, there was no waiting. The lady organised the test to be done immediately, while she offered me tea and biscuts. I could opt to join the testing officer or watch it from the coffee room. I decided on the latter.

I was most surprised to see him test the vehicle and when he found some small mistakes, such as the exact focus of the headlights, he actually fixed the errors. This has never happened in all my time in Oulu. Usually, the testing officer marks the errors in the computer and issues a report, which means you have to come back, pay another hefty sum and get the car tested again (only for the errors noted).

After the officer finished the testing, he came to the coffee room, told me my car was OK and it had passed the test and that one small error of rust should be corrected within a month, but it was not important enough for him to fail the car.

So I have another year of trouble free driving with my 1985 jallopy, known to Samuel and me, as my "rabbit", a name given to it by Kamu, who runs two large cars, a Volvo and a Saab, but cannot keep up with this antique!

On getting home, Annikki was waiting to go on her jaunt to the Fleamarket. So off we went.

Oulu Pentacostal Church Fleamarket

Oulu Pentacostal Church Fleamarket


Annikki emerges with her goodies from the Fleamarket

Annikki emerges with her goodies
from the Fleamarket


Annikki has been carrying on an experiment this year. Usually Sweet Peas are used as climbers (creepers). This year she tried them as hangers from a basket, and they looked rather nice.

Annikki's experiment - Sweet Peas in a hanging basket

Annikki's experiment -
Sweet Peas in a hanging basket


And finally, after an exhausting day chasing a whole lot of little birds in the garden, Iitu, our 14 year old cat, fit as a fiddle, decided she would lie at my feet and be nice to me, licking my toes.

Iitu lounging on the living room carpet

Iitu lounging on the living room carpet


Iitu is getting ready for winter, where she goes out only for a few hours a day, unlike spring, summer and autumn, where she hunts in her territory covering much of the estate in which we live. For a 14 year old (78 years on the People Scale), she is remarkably sprightly. One cat has been reported to live till the ripe old age of 34 (154 on the People Scale), so Iitu has plenty of life left in her.

What a comforting thought - she may live to see our great grandchildren, even if we don't! She will have plenty of stories to tell them, and believe you me, she does "talk".

No comments: