Friday, December 16, 2005

Hero cycle in Finland....

Many years ago, probably 10 to 15, Mika got a great bike made by the world's largest cycle manufacturer, Hero, of India.

I used this for many years, but then I got banned from using that bike by my guardians, wife, Annikki, and daughter, Joanna. They are a rather powerful combination as you would have noticed how my fluffy beard vanished!

I gave the bike to our friend, Patrick Fox. But Patrick did not find any need to use it. The bike lay in his compound for over 4 years.

When Unnop and Pailin, my Thai friends, said that maybe they should buy their elder son, Soda, a bike, I asked Patrick whether I could have the bike back, which he willingly agreed.

I picked it up and found that although useable, it was a bit sticky due to the several years of non-use.

I thought I would find a cycle repairer in town. I sort of remembered one where it was quite easy to park the car.


P. Aitola Cycle Repair Shop in Oulu


I knocked at the door of P. Aitola, as it was locked.

An elderly gentleman came to the door and let me in as I wheeled in the bike.

Before I could say anything he asked me whether I was Yaakoppi, the Finnish way of saying Jacob. I replied in the affirmative. Then he asked me whether my wife was Annikki. Again, surprised, as I had never met this gentleman before, I confirmed. He then started to recount details of my work in the University and other details not normally known to the general public.

I was astounded. Did he work for the Finnish Secret Police?

I plucked up the courage to ask him how he knew all this.

He told me that he had been a good friend of Annikki's father, Matti, when he was alive, as they had served in the army together at the time of the war. They had also shared the same hobby - cycles and mopeds.

He then told me he was a few years younger to Matti, just 82!

I was quite taken back at seeing a shop owner of 82 running his business as if he was just a middle aged gentleman!

So when I went back to pick up the bike, I decided to get a couple of pictures of this remarkable 82 year old.

Paavo Aitola, Matti's friend, 82 years old 2
Paavo Aitola, Matti's friend, 82 years old


Paavo Aitola, Matti's friend, 82 years old 1
Paavo Aitola, Matti's friend, 82 years old


I would certainly like to be in his shape of fitness when I am 82.

His secret was that he still walks and swims everyday, and of course, he is running his business by himself, even to this day.

He did, in passing, mention his daily dose of Koskenkorva, the Finnish 100% absolute spirit raiser, but I chose to ignore that!

The bike was fixed great and I was able to deliver it to Soda this afternoon.

No comments: