Friday, December 23, 2005

This is what I call a round-up

Life is getting a bit nasty around here these days as Iitu, our 14 year old is getting possesive about my time. I am not allowed to read the newspaper, when I want to!

Iitu dominates the news!

Jaya Abraham, is my childhood friend, who is maybe my second cousin or more probably my uncle once removed. He is the son of Avarachayan (Mr. K. J. Abraham), who was a solid figure of Bangalore.

If you were sick in hospital, Avarachayan would be there to visit you and pray with you. If you had a birthday, he would be there to share in the fun. I remember Avarachayan from when I was a little boy. He and his family lived in the Bangalore Binny complex. Avarachayan was active in the work of the Indian Young Men's Christian Association (YMCA).

I loved my uncle. His family were very dear to me. His wife was a doctor. I have a feeling that she was one of the doctors who delivered this hunk of smelly flesh into this world!.

The children who grew up with me in Bangalore were his daughter, Valsa, who was the same age as me, son, Jaya, and two other boys. Jawahar and Mohan.

When I got an email which had a copy to Jaya's wife, Nargis, I dropped her a line as I had not heard from any of them for almost 14 years.

I received what I thought was one of the best family news round-ups that I have ever received. I share it with you in its entirety.

Hi,

Great to hear from you! I have forwarded your message to Jaya's e-mail address and don't know if he has responded to you. So I thought I would ...

Our address here is 2879 Nash Drive, Coquitlam BC V3B 6P9 Canada. We have been in Canada since mid-1991.

Jaya started out working for 7-11 (the convenience store chain), left to run his own gas station business for ten years, and has now gone back to working for 7-11. I am teaching at the BC Institute of Technology. The girls did their university here, and are now working - Anjali is a high school teacher and also doing her Ph.D. at McGill Univeristy in Montreal, and Tara is an environmental health officer here. We're in the Greater Vancouver area.

Jaya's father passed away ten years ago, this December. Valsa and Babuchayan (Ed: Eapen Koshy, who was formerly one of the most senior managers in MRF Ltd.) now live in Kotagiri (near Coonoor). Their daughter Shoba is married to Ravi George. Both are doctors in Odanchathram - before this, they were in the UK for a few years doing post-grad studies. Shoba is recovering from cancer. They have a son, Nikhil. Valsa's son, Pramod, lives in Madras and runs his own IT business.

Jaya's brother Jawahar lives in Bangalore, in Appicha's house. His wife Ruby is a school principal there. They have two sons, one of whom is working and the other is in college.

My dad lives in Hyderabad - my mother passed away two years ago.

It would be lovely to meet again - why don't you plan a trip to Canada?

With very best wishes for Christmas and the New Year,

Nargis


Thank you Nargis for that news blast. I mourn the passing away of Avarachayan and your mother, whom I met at Yasmin's wedding in Hyderabad.

Nargis and her sister, Yasmin, who is married to my cousin Arun, son of Babyapappan (the late Matthan Matthan) are the extremely super-talented daughters of the former Finance Director of Vazir Sultan Tobacco, one of the most respected officers in that company's history, Mr. Shah.

A Christian, he has always worn his faith on his sleeve and was involved with the work of the church on a day to day basis. He is a person whom I admire and greatly respect.

It is good to know that Jaya and Nargis, and Nargis's father, are well.

I would also like to share a family photograph of a good friend from Bangalore, Balu, who is Asst. Professor, Dept. of Kannada Studies in the University of Agricultural Sciences at Hebbal. Balu is seen with his radiant wife Renuka, daughter, Ananya, and son, Shashank. I think the children have really wonderful and most unusual names.

Balu, Renuka, Anaya, Shashank, Bangalore 2005

Balu visited us in Oulu at the beginning of this year when he and Geordie George from Deepika International, a major newspaper from Kerala, were here to do language localisation for Nokia software.

I was a bit taken aback when I was asked the question whether Joanna was holidaying in the Carribean or the Canary Islands. I had alweays thought that Puerto Rico was in the vicity of America. But my good friend, Ilari Sohlo, put me right. There are two Puerto Ricos.

Joanna and family are in the Canary Islands. From all accounts, via text messages, they are having a great Christmas vacation, well deserved. Susanna and family and Jaakko are in England while Mika, Annikki and I are here in Oulu. But in our hearts, we are all together.

I hoped you enjoyed this round-up. I hope, also, that you will share your family news with so many of us out here in the world who want to know what you and your family are up to.

In the meantime, may we wish each and everyone of you a very beautiful Chanukah (today), Merry Christmas (25th) and a great Kwanzaa (from 26th to 1st January 2006). We hope these all lead to a wonderful and prosperous New Year for each and every one of you.

Annikki has created a wonderful display of light for today. I will try to get it on film and share it with you tomorrow.

Till then, from the Arctic, we say, have a great day....

No comments: