Thursday, June 21, 2007

Help me PLEASE, before I go crazy!

Yesterday I went to the Thai Pailin Restaurant. The owners offered me a "sweet" with my tea, which they called "a traditional THAI sweet".







The look, the feel, the texture, the taste - all drove me crazy. This used to be one of my favourite crunchy sweets when I was in Kerala. But for the life of me I could not remember what it was called - Dementia?

I rushed home carrying a bag full of these delicious crunchy flower-shaped sweets and went to browse through all the books of the late Mrs. K. M. Mathew (Annammakochamma) on Annikki's book shelves - and I could not find it mentioned.

Not an appam, not a dosai, not a wada, not a jamuun, not a rasgoola, not a jilebee, not a ..... - What is it?

For a day, while taking regular bites into this delicacy, I have been trying to recall the name of this item. ( I have almost finished the stock my friends gave me!)

Anyone out there to put me out of my misery - PLEASE?

I have noticed that Thai cooking is very close to Kerala cooking in that they use a fair amount of coconut milk in their curries and they also use a lot of chillies. They have several sweets which are close to what Annammakocochamma used to turn out for weddings. Comments on the possible reason for this?

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Hi Jacob,
Nice to go through your blogs. I am having a similar one each week in our local newspaer. It is more geared to waste generation, proper management of waste, recycling, source reduction, haz waste management etc. It will be in
the vaildaily.com
click on blogs on the right hand side- (starting July 2nd)

We have a similar sweet which is a bengali sweet and it is called 'Amriti"- a fancied flower version of the jalebi.When i saw the picture- it reminded me of this.

thanks
pallavi

Jacob said...

Dear Jacob,
That looked like a rose cookie or an achappam.
Perhaps that's what you have been searching for.
Regards
Jai