Thursday, June 07, 2007

How does 6.8=27.2? How does this affect Global Warming?

New maths today is very popular. So when I tell you that when 6.8 = 27.2, we have much to fear from Global warming!

Every Tuesday is a water immersion physiotherapy session for our son, Mika. For over seven years I have been taking him every Tuesday for this session.

Normally, I call him from his room at 13:15. I pick up his bag containing his towel, shorts and swimsuit and wait in the car for him. He comes down at 13:30 and I drive him for his session and then wait around in town till he finishes his session and drive him back by 15:15.

Last Tuesday was a little different as Annikki's mother, Hilja, was still at home. Annikki wanted me to rush back after dropping Mika to help her take her mother from her bed to the toilet and lift her from the chair. Hilja is heavy and the lifting gear can be used in some places, but there are others where I have to lift her bodily, something Annikki cannot do.

Last Tuesday, I had to fill petrol in the car. As I am now mainly on the scooter, just after calling Mika, I rushed off to fill some petrol and rushed back. Mika was waiting. I rushed upstairs, picked up his sports bag and drove him to town, to his session.

As he got out of the car and lifted his bag, he realised that there was nothing in it. He decided to wait till I rushed home.

When I told Annikki, she was in panic and rushed upstairs, picked up the missing items, and gave them to me. I stuffed them in the bag and rushed back to give the bag to a waiting Mika.

Then I drove back home to help Annikki.

A tragic looking wife was waiting at the door for me. By mistake she had given me a black underwear instead of Mika's black swimming trunks.

I grabbed the trunks, and rushed back to the swimming pool. I found Mika having a shower. I dropped off the trunks next to his bag and then rushed back home to help Annikki.

At 15:00 hours, I went back to pick up Mika.

On Tuesday, the 3.4 km one-way trip from the home to the physiotherapy centre was done at total of eight times, instead of the normal two. Hence, instead of a mere 6.8 km, I drove 27.2 km, pumping out harmful carbon emissions and detrimentally affecting Global Warming.

Although this has happened only once in the last seven years, the comedy of errors was not very funny, either for the environment or for Mika!

I am glad that I am on a scooter these days as I am claiming back most of that consumption with my scooting around on a more economic form of transport!

No comments: