Monday, September 17, 2007

Mallus in Oulu, Coincidences continue

For decades the only Mallus in Oulu has been my family. We have had a few passersby.

A couple of months ago, Ajeet, a Mallu from Helsinki informed me that there was Mallu family in Oulu. I did not get a chance to meet them.

Last Friday, when Annikki and I were in a Department store, I saw a young lady looking at me intently, and then she plucked up the courage to ask if I was Jacob Matthan!

I introduced Annikki. Nisha introduced her 4 year old daughter, Hannah. Nisha said that her husband, Sunil, was due in late evening and she promised to be in touch.

Sunil called on Sunday morning.I invited them to join me for lunch at the Thai Pailin restaurant, as that is the closest to Mallu food.

We had a pleasant get together and got to know each other. Sunil and Nisha are both electronics engineers and they both work in Nokia. But Sunil is in Helsinki while Nisha and her daughter are here in Oulu. Sunil comes home for the weekend.

They are looking for a new apartment and they have found one just below the one where Ashesh Kumar and his wife, Indu, and their 4 year old son, Karthik live. I called Ashesh to join us after lunch for a cup of tea as Indu was away in India.

Yes, we Mallus are everywhere. I am happy that we have another family here as our grandchildren may get a chance to learn a little Malayalam when they get back from Newcastle for Christmas.

On Saturday, Annikki decided to make one of her rare attendances at church. She asked me to pick her up at a few minutes after 12.

As I drove into the church compound, I saw Alan Pembshaw (whom you will have read that I met at Oulu Airport just a week earlier) getting put of another car accompanied by two ladies. Looking a little closer, I noted that one of them was Anne Takula, one of Joanna's friends. The other was Alan's Finnish wife, Virpi.

They had just dropped in to the church to have the really good vegetarian lunch which is served up on Saturdays after the church service.

So Annikki got to meet Alan and his wife and also Anne, after a space of many years.

The world is full of coincidences - or is it fate?

2 comments:

Jijo said...

Dear Jacob Uncle,

I am yet another Mallu passerby in Oulu. This is my third visit to Oulu and I will be here till December.

Which church does your family attend?

Jijo

Rauha (Peace) said...

Hi Jijo,

I do not attend any church as my church is in my brain!

Sunil and Joel attend the Catholic Church in Koskela.

My wife attends, very occasionally, the Seventh Day Adventist Church. Her absence is due to the fact she is working full time looking after her aged mother.

Call me at 041 706 7788