Sunday, March 28, 2010

Beware of Black Ice



Yesterday was a tough day. I had tonnes of meetings including showeing up at the Annual General Body meeting of the Oulu Cricket Club. (I am too old to be a playing member, too blind to be an upmire or scorer, so I am just a happy fan.)

Joose continues as the Chairman. New Secretary and Treasurer and two new Board members. Looks like it is going to be a great year.

I offerefd the store room of Raantel for them to keep the cricket gear. They will need a lot more space as they will have the coir matting to keep in store!

Both Ashish (Medipolis) and Arindam (Indian Restaurant) are supporting the Club. Annikki and I agreed to underwrite the shortfall in last years accounts. A small contribution for a group of wonderful guys!

After the meeting, as I had a few minutes to spare, i thought I would reach the Lidl near our home to pick up some bananas. I had promised to pick up Annikki before 6 pm so as to attend our friends daughter's first birthday.

I was driving quite slowly when I saw the traffic light change in the distance. Before I could reduce the speed I noticed the car starting to slide. I had hit a stretch of the dreaded "Black Ice" under the powdery snow. I was in a slide without any chance of controlling anything. The car kept sliding to the right.

 I tried to reduce the speed but the car just kept sliding as the wheels had no traction.


From Audi Accident 27/03/2010 18:00


The car went into the traffic divider which was packed high with snow.

I jumped out and saw that there appeared to be no major damage. When I tried to pull the car out, it refused to budge.

I rang Kamu who was at Citymarket with Naiomi. They came immediately, but he did not have his tow rope.

Just then another car stopped and offered to help. It was a four wheel drive. He brought the car to the back of mine and attached his rope. As he pulled, the rope snapped.

The kind gentleman promised to go to his office and get a stronger rope.

I cleared most of the snow under the car, behind the tyres and under the radiator. Just then a tow truck stopped behind me. The driver jumped out, attached the chains and within a couple of seconds I was pulled free.

I was on my way, about half an hour late for Annikki and and about an hour late for the birthday party.

But we had not missed anything as they were waiting for a few more guests to arrive!

Great party. thanks.


I now understand what Joanna went through when she hit a patch of black ice when driving back to Oulu from Tornio in 1998 in the Citroen! I don't know how the family survived that crash. Only by the grace of God!


But beware of Black Ice. You will not know its there till you start to slide!

No comments: