Friday, June 04, 2010

Indian Buffet in Oulu

Yesterday, I decided to try the new Indian Buffet on offer in Oulu. I had promised the owner that I would drop in on Monday, and then Tuesday, but I just could not make it.

So yesterday, I went in a little late (after 14:00 hours).

From Indian Buffet in Oulu


The restaurant was not crowded, but it was obvious that they had had several guests in the early afternoon.

The buffet was good but not outstanding. There was a salad table, but I do not normally take salads. Rice and pakoras were on offer. The pakoras were cold. I like mine piping hot. There were three wet dishes - channa dal, chicken curry and lamb curry.

The channa dal was made for a Finnish palette, not for an Indian one. The chicken, which was cooked in curd, making it like a kurma, was a bit too sweet for me. The lamb was just about right.

The papadam's were freshly fried and great.

Being late, the nan's were cold and rather hard and crispy! I found a few soft ones.

I would have liked a dry vegetable, as we have so many wonderful dry dishes as accompaniments at all Indian tables. As I am allergic to cold or unwashed cooked rice, because of the starch, I did not try that. I stuck to cold hard nans!

Various sauces adorned the serving table, but I was not attracted to any of them.

The meal was followed by a small bowl of fruit salad served at the table. I had a Chai, after that.

The price at € 9.80, including the soft drink, is higher than what the Chinese restaurants charge (between € 7 and 8).

The Experience: Moderately good and a good starting efort. Probably a once a month visit will be what will be my schedule!

No comments: