Thursday, February 24, 2005

Cross-written Postcards?


Ever since I picked up this postcard in Helsinki about 20 years ago, cross-written postcards which were older than 100 years became my obsession. I searched everywhere, but only found a couple more.

Cross written Postcard Side 1 1895

Cross-written postcard Side 1 1895


Cross written Postcard Side 2 1895

Cross-written Postcard Side 2 1895


The writer was obviously trying to get more onto a postcard and hence save postage costs. In the process, a beautiful effect was created.

I asked antique dealer houses, Sotheby's and Philips, for valuations about 10 years ago. They said they had no price for these, as examples were rare.

Since this first piece, I have picked up a couple of Finnish ones, but not been able to locate any others from other countries. Antique postcard collectors in Canada have indicated that they have seen some across the Atlantic, and some Italian and French monks are said to have used this method.

However, no further examples have come to light.

The reason for collecting something is the challenge of finding what one is looking for. I found these very ordinary postcards had been turned into something quite beautiful. It was not the value that attracted me, as when I started collecting these, they were less than a Euro each. Now they are worth a few hundred Euro each.

So, although it does not give me any sleepless nights, I do look in antique shops wherever I go to try and find some of these rare postcards. And that is the fun of a hobby!!!

No comments: