Monday, April 24, 2006

Cut short

Annikki and I were under the impression that Annikki's mother would only be back tomorrow from the Old People's Home. Annikki had her heart set on going to beach to look for some stones.

We had a busy afternoon. After her usual visit to two of her favourite Flea Markets, I parked the car in Stockman and while Annikki did her shopping I visited a couple of friends coffee shops and chit-chatted with them.

As I was walking down the Walking Street, I saw a foreigner giving out UNICEF literasture. I struck up a conversation with him. I had not met him before but I soon learnt that I had heard of his wife (Mervi Heikkinen) and he had heard of me. Brent Cassidy, an American of Irish Origin, has lived in Finland for 8 years, having come to Finland along with a group of North Carolina students. Go to his interesting web site.

Brent and friends have Live Traditional Irish Music sessions every other Sunday beginning at 17:00/ 5:00 p.m. in St. Michael's Irish Pub located on Hallituskatu 13-17 in Oulu City Center. Free Entry. The sessions are open for other musicians to join in and play with them.

Brent was greatly disappointed that he did not know of today's Best Buy at the Kaijonharju Shopping Centre as he had reached my Best Buy Blog page only after the event.

As we were chatting, along came Fumi, Ville Suomi's Japanese better half, on a shopping expedition. And as we were talking, along came a Nigerian student.

Soon we had a warm conversation till we all decided it was time to break it up and get on with our lives.

When I went into Stockman to wait for Annikki, there was an Indian couple with their young son, whom I know. He works for WIPRO. So again I was quickly in the midst of a conversation till Anniikki arrived.

Annikki decided she had a few more things to buy in Stockman. Just when she was on her way back to me, she bumped into another old friend, Leila Kerola, whose son, Antti, had studied with Mika. The whole Kerola family have become good close friends.

It appears that it is impossible to walk around Oulu without meeting many many people with whom we have much in common!

When we got home, Annikki decided that she would put her feet up for a few minutes before going to the beach - when the phone rang. It was the Old People's Home telling us that Hilja was ready to come home.

I had messed up my calendar.

So off we went to bring her home - and it is back to the tough routine for the next three weeks.

No comments: