Sunday, May 21, 2006

Dead bird on Oulu thoroughfare

Usually, when an animal is dead on a major thoroughfare, it is reduced to pulp by the passing cars in a matter of a few minutes, or at the most an hour.

Yesterday, the main road linking the north of Oulu to the south had a dead bird, in the smack centre of the road. I noted it on my first drive through about noon, but I was surprised to find it still intact and lying in the centre of the this busy road, even as late as 6 pm. I had passed it a couple of times during the day, and took care not to run over it.

Why?

My first thought when I had seen this bird in the middle of the street was that, if it was an animal which had died from bird flu, I did not want the infection on my tyres. So, I was particularly careful to avoid running over it.

It occurred to me that almost all the motortists that passed that spot, and there must have been several thousands of us, yesterday, must have had the same thought cross their minds.

Unfortunately, as it was a busy thoroughfare, I could not snap a photograph of the bird in the middle of the street.

I wonder if anyone called the police or the health authorities to come on check on it?

It is very very unusual for a dead bird to be lying for many hours in the middle of a busy road in the centre of Oulu.

Not in my 22 years here have I had this experience.

No comments: