Monday, May 15, 2006

I know it was Mother's Day

I know yesterday was Mother's Day, but I thought I would throw in this photograph taken of me by my protégé, Soda.

JM by Soda 14th may 2006

JM by Soda 14th May 2006


While I was talking to this young lad yesterday, I happened to discuss how decisions about him, when he grows up, would have to be made by his agent. His absolute honest and quick reply was "But, you are my agent!"

He is maturing so fast that I am finding it impossible to keep up with his talents and his poweress in so many spheres. The decision as to whether he is going to be a professional sportsperson or a professional muscian is excruciating. Either could be right or wrong. Both require dedication and immense hard work on his part, and last week I witnessed how dedicated he is to BOTH these fields. To choose one over the other is painful, not only for himself, but all of us who love this young man so much.

I only wish Soda was living in a country which helped people of such immense talent mature along the lines of their skills!

Coming back to Mother's Day, Annikki wanted me to get flowers for her mother. Her sister, Anneli, had also sent money from the southern town of Masala to get flowers on her behalf.

There was a special sale at a local garden shop, so I went and purchased, what I thought was nice selection on behalf of all our children for Annikki and for her mother. (This was in addition to the carefully marked list that she had made for me with pictures of the flowers!)

In addition, Annikki's other sister, Aino, sent a lovely bunch of flowers for her mother.

Usually, whatever I buy is not much appreciated as I have quite horrible choice. For years and years Annikki has styled my hair, bought my shirts and even my undergarments, as I can never be trusted to buy anything correctly.

I was rudely shocked as Annikki's appeciation when opened the front door and saw me carrying in this great bunch of colourful flowers.

Äiti and Iitu with the Mother's day flowers at kampitie
Multi-great grandmother Iitu (now 15 cat years), great-grandmother Äiti, grandmother Annikki, share these flowers


Later, when I returned from the Chaff Meeting, I bore a turtle from Pailin, who has adopted Annikki as her mother. (It is amazing how many people seem to have adopted us - later that evening I had a Skype call from Rauma (in south west Finland) from where Kannan, who has also adopted Annikki as his mother, sent her heartfelt wishes to her for Mother's Day!) Annikki was so thrilled to receive this beautiful gift, she could hardly contain her joy.

Brick turtle shares the table with the squeaking one!
Brick turtle shares the table with the squeaking one!


Annikki already has a place for it reserved in the Kampitie garden. It is going to have a entertaining life out there in the Finnish sunshine.

No comments: