Tuesday, May 09, 2006

My suspicions confirmed

Not very long ago I pointed out some very serious driving lapses that I have encountered in Oulu. I had wondered whether this was due the drivers or the driving schools.

Today, it became clear who is at fault.

I was driving through the centre of Oulu along a one way street. I came to cross roads with traffic lights. Traffic coming in from the left should turn into the left lane when they enter the one way street.

I noticed a motorcyclist who had come in from the street on the left and was waiting at the pedestrian crossing in the centre of the street. Behind him was a car which was following the motorcyclist into exactly the same wrong position.

As my traffic signals changed from red to green, I started my car to move on, along the left lane, as the right lane was reserved for buses and taxis. But, as the car from the left was already half across the street, I waited for him to go on.

He didn't, so I had to wave him on.

He followed the motorcyclist into the centre of the road, straddling the two lanes.

I noted that the car had a Driving School label with the Danger Signal and the URL of the company.

I commented to my passenger that the driver of the car was not a student but a bad driving school instructor talking to his student on the motorcycle through a mobile device.

As they were crawling, I pulled into the right lane, as there were no buses or taxis in the horizon, either behind or ahead of me.

As I overtook the two vehicles I noted that the driver of the car was talking, through a walkie talkie held in his hand, obviously to the motor cyclist, who was nodding his head.

Besides having broken all the rules about lanes, the more dangerous thing that that driving school instructor was doing was what is illegal in Finland.

He was talking into a mobile device while driving and by holding it in his hands.

If a driving school instructor cannot abide by the law and the rules of the road, what can the students learn?

No comments: