Monday, January 15, 2007

My childhood friend is now blogging

There have been many people that were my friends when I was a child. Most of them were of my age group. I do not have contact with many if those who were my friends in Bangalore - the Wilsons, the Ealings, Om Prakash, Sahadev, Darius Sagar, Gerald Samuel, the Ferdinands (Peter, Leo), and many more.

In Bangalore, we lived across the road from a College Hostel. The sports ground of the college was also across the road. Besides the large cricket cum football pitch, the basketball court, and the tennis courts, there was also a gravel hockey pitch.

There I watched a great hockey goalkeeper. He fascinated me. I befriended this young college student, 9 years older than me, when I was just 9 years. I became his good friend.

In 1954, after we moved from Bangalore to Bombay, I lost touch with this young man. Many times I thought about him. I blogged about him quite recently.

I was surprised one day last year when I got an email from him. Someone had told him that he was mentioned on my blog.

Our friendship of over 52 years was renewed, as if it had not ended for a day.

Today, I went to read his new blog:Blog of Parayil A. Tharakan (Abe).

That he is an accomplished and published writer is evident from his blog. I enjoyed going through the 8 entries or so he has made so far. From it I learnt about his background, things I never asked when we were friends 52 years ago.

I am glad that he has started blogging. I have linked to his blog from all my pages under the list of blogs of my relatives and friends.

Great to have you on board, Abe. I can now enjoy your writings at the click of a button!

No comments: