Saturday, March 05, 2005

Trim at 71, Trim at 77


010519018Thambichayan
Originally uploaded by jmatthan.


It is with utmost pleasure and delight that I have a chance to wish my second Delhi guardian, Mr. K. M. Jacob, (husband of my dear cousin Ashwathykochamma, youngest daughter of Mr. K. M. Oommen - Mambaltheappachen) on his 77th birthday today.

I found my most recent picture of him taken at the wedding in Chennai in 1999 December - but knowing Thambichayan, and his craze for Golf, he must have retained the trimness he had then.

Ash and Thambichayan were my second guardians while I was studying in St. Stephen's College in Delhi. They lived in a small but charming little house in Nizammuddin, which was home to Rajen, Suresh and myself on many a weekend. Like her two other sisters, Ash is a superb cook and Thambichayan a great host, full of ideas of things to do.

Later, when they moved to Calcutta, on my very very infrequent trips to that city, I had a chance to stay with them and get to know all their three adorable children, Preminda, Shona and Ranjeet, much better.

Premi and her lovely family of Malayika and Rich, are the only ones of our wonderful band of nephews and nieces so far who have taken the trouble to come up to this Arctic outpost to visit us!!

I will not continue much more in this blog entry but wish Thambichayan a very very happy birthday from Annikki and myself, and I am sure all of you will all join us in this.


No comments: