Monday, March 14, 2005

Two more great ladies celebrate their birthday today


Two more wonderful and great ladies celebrate their birthday today.

Kunjukochamma, Mrs. K. M. Mammen Mappillai, wife of my late uncle, Kochappachen, youngest brother of my late mother, is 80 today. Annikki and I would like to wish this wonderful aunt all the very best on this auspicious day.

I have quite many photographs of this wonderful and most colourful personality in my archives, but I choose the one I like best and one which reminds me most of her vibrant character. It was taken soon after her wedding and has me sitting with my late elder sister, Nalini, along with Kunjukochamma and her new husband. In the front, sitting on the grass, is another wonderful aunt of mine, the late Mrs. K. M. Mathew, known to all of us as Annammakochamma. Also in this picture is my late cousin, Kunjumonchayan, another absolutely wonderful personality. The only scoundrel in the picture is Dursheelan (mischievous one), which is what my uncle, Kochappachen, used to playfully call me.


Kunjukochamma, 1948

Kunjumonchayan, Kochappachen, birthday girl Kunjukochamma,
Nalini and me, and with Annammakochamma sitting on the grass.
Madras, circa 1948.


The second person who celebrates her 85th birthday today is my second mother, the lady who took me into her home 21 years ago, and treated me as her own son.

Annikki's mother, Hilja, now suffers from dementia, aggravated by tunnel vision of just 20% and the general effects of age. I present here a montage of photographs of this wonderful person whom Annikki and I have the pleasure to look after in the final years of her life, which we hope will be long and in the good health she is enjoying today. We have many flowers for her and I shall try to blog a picture of her later today with her cakes and flowers

























Hilja Class Photo 1930

School Photo showing
Hilja taken maybe in
1930. Hilja is third
from right in the
middle row


Hilja in 1941

Hilja in 1941


Hilja with her eldest three children, Annikki is in the centre

Hilja with eldest three
children, Annikki is
in the centre


1969, Hilja carrying Jaakko with Annikki carrying Susanna

1969, Hilja carrying
Jaakko with Annikki
carrying Susanna


Hilja with her husband, Matti, at his 80th birthday,

Hilja with husband
Matti at his 80th birthday,
1996


Hilja June 2001

Hilja June 2001


Hilja August 2002

Hilja August 2002


Hilja with daughters Anneli and Annikki, August 2002

Hilja with daughters
Anneli and Annikki,
August 2002


Hilja with Annikki at grandson, samuli's, graduation party, January 2003

Hilja with Annikki
at grandson, Samuli's,
graduation party,
January 2003


Hilja, February 2004

Hilja, February 2004


Hilja with her doll collection, May 2002

Hilja with her
doll collection,
May 2004


Hilja with daughter Anneli, February 2005

Hilja with daughter
Anneli, February 2005

We hope all of you will join Annikki and me in wishing these two wonderful ladies a very happy birthday and many many more.

No comments: