Friday, February 03, 2006

A bit annoying...

I must thank an Indian, Abhay Bulsari from South West Finland, living in the city of Turku, who runs a company called AB Nonlinear Solutions Oy, for pointing out this news item from BBC World 'lukewarm to India's role'.

This is a study of how different countries view other countries.



What drew Abhay's attention was the views of Finns about India. Only 27% of Finns view India positively and 44% view the country negatively.

Luckily, the business community in Finalnd today does not hold this view as there is rapid expansion now of Finnish companies starting to use Indian expertise and also use it as an outsourcing point. Two recruitment centres are expected to be opened in India to bring competent Indian scientific and engineering staff to Finland.

14 years ago this would have been unthinkable. When I first pointed out in the first issue of Findians Briefings, way back in 1992, that Texas Instruments had opened a centre in Bangalore with a direct sattelite link to Houstan, Texas, in 1984, not many Finns thought this was a good idea!

But the history of this bad image goes back much further. In 1975, I had identified Finnish technologies ideally suited for India. I approached a company and also explained to them, as engineering costs in Finland were high, maybe they could work with one of the larger and well established Indian Engineering Consulting companies, to capture the huge Indian market.

I was laughed out of the room - competent Indian Engineering skill?

India got the same technology from a French company.

Another example was when I asked the largest Finnish Sauna manufacturer to quote for the large volume of saunas required by the expanding 5-star hotels opening all over India. I got a negative response. I alerted a Swedish company. For the next 10 years almost every sauna sold in India was from a Swedish manufacturer.

A short while after this happened the Finnish company came running after me as to whether it would be possible to reopen the opportunity as their Brazilian market had suddenly dried up.

Prof. Ajeet Mathur, in his treatise "Finland - India Economic Relations - A Twinning Study of Trade and Investment Potential" published in 1998, pointed out the enormous potential. But again, the Finns have been slow to act and have missed most of the action, thereby not getting much of the deal as other countries capitalised on.

With Amma, Deepak Chopra and a few other leading Indians making waves in Finland, a few films and songs getting shown on Finnish television, the huge advertising campaign of "Incredible India" of BBC World, some inroads of a better perception of India is very slowly taking root amongst the general public.

But the business community realised that they have been losing out. They are desperately trying to expand opportunities in India, as otherwise their international shareholders may start asking uncomfortable questions.

Abhay was of the view that we should alert the Indian Embassy about this.

In my opinion, Finns are the losers if they do not wake up.

So let us not rock the boat.

5 comments:

Jacob Matthan said...

henrirajkoko.

It would be nice if you had the courage to give me your identity - but obviously as a most cowards, you want to hide behind anonomity.

Good for you, as I know several cowards like you.

Now let us look at your statements - "bloddy pompous old man" - wonder what you mean by the term, "bloddy" - I suggest you learn English and then you may understand what is written on my blog pages!

I have never stopped anyone's comments on my blog, except spammers - Your entry is here, (and your earlier entry is exactly where it was put by you)and I have not deleted any of them, which I could if I wanted to. But I want the world to see what sort of person you are.

But as you are a coward you cannot reveal who you really are! Can you?

And as I have never removed any entry of yours - obviously you cannot know much about truth-telling. Go back and check!

Well, I am an old man, so unfortunately, I do happen to know several people. I am sorry I do know several people and I am sorry you do not like that.

I think you know I have lived in my wife's house, as for the last 5 years my wife has been the caregiver for her mother. Have you a problem with that?

Or do you think this old woman should be thrown out of her own home into an old people's home? Do you know what is the best treatment for dementia?

Next, what do I claim to have initiated?

Could you give some examples, please. Maybe an old man like me has dreamnt all these things. I would like to know what I have dreamnt.

Thank you for making such a forthright entry on my blog.

Welcome again and you can certainly enter anything you want, so long as you do not use bad langauage.

Jacob Matthan said...

It is interesting that you claim I hate US - unfortunately you come to that conclusion because you do not understand the English language.

Maybe you have not read my blog "Liberal Talk Show Hosts". I just happen to be personal friends of several of them. Would you like to visit me one day and read our personal correspondence?

You are welcome - and they are all US citizens.

If you do not understand what I write, then your conclusions are obviously without basis.

As to why I left India- Maybe you should read one of the first books ever published in toto on the internet. Just enter my wife's name (which you obviously know as I know who you are) in Google, find it, and read!

I earned my pension and I live off my earned pension. I do not live off the Finnish Social Security. It shows you are totally devoid of facts.

I get nothing for looking after my mother-in-law and have never claimed anything for doing that.

My wife read your comment and would like to add her comment to mine: She wrote:

"It is clear that you have severe problems in you life and I can see that you need professional help. So do yourself a favour and get your matters sorted out."

In the meantime you are welcome to comment on anything that you want, but sadly, may I add that if you continue your cowardice, not many people will take your views seriously!

Thank you for your comments.

Jacob Matthan said...

My word - studying Physics at Turku University - I am so impressed "Aniyaboy" or shall we say "Anja"!!

Why do you pose to be a boy - are you so scared of your own sex or desperately want to be a boy?

And sadly there is no such person as Henri Ronko in Turku University - I just happen knew how to check that. Suggest you get a programme called email verifier!

By the way, do you want me to tell you which IP you used to post these comments?

Being such a clever sex-changed "fellow" could you give me the meanings of these wonderful words and phrases that you used.

Afer all - I am such a stupid old pompous man; I could not understand you brilliant English:

cowhard
freinds
"pompous means dat"
shud
crib
master cribber

I am so impressed that you said that you are "one of the most successful students of my university with five job offers !!"

I pity the company that employs you - or maybe they get what they deserve!

Considering you could not get a job and was a perpetual student for over 20 years unable to finish even the elementary studies in a university!!

I think you are sadly the one who is "unemployed" with nothing better to do but read my blog.

Maybe you will learn some Physics from my writings! Certainly more than you know now.

Thank you, once again for being (as claimed by you) MY ONLY "cowardly" READER!

Try to solve the puzzle on the blog entry for yesterday - you will find that answer describes you wonderfully!

Jacob Matthan said...

So glad this numbskull "henrirajroko", alias "Henri Ronko - one of 7 fictitious Henri Ronko's of Turku University", alias "Aniyaboy" supposed "boyfriend" of "Aniya", alias "Anja", alias "Anja Halmetoja" alias "divorcee of Veikko Halmetoja", alias "unemployed female from Oulu", ...is the only reader of my blogs. Thank you.

With seven Henri Ronko's in Turku University it seems that the Turku Telephone Directory does not even have one listed!!

And an Oulu Ronko - ziltch!!

"Antamillasi hakusanoilla ei löytynyt yhtään kohdetta.
Hakusanasi :
Sukunimi : Ronko"

Your ability to tell lies qualifies you as a Bush / Blair WMD /Mushroom Cloud Clone!

I am so thrilled and so honoured you cannot stay away from my blog pages.

Jacob Matthan said...

But you come back again and again!! Habit?

I thought you said something about practicing what you preach - suggest you follow your own advice!

Thank you for your wonderful comments. It shows you up for what you are!