Thursday, January 19, 2006

Wednesday and Thursday...

The cold weather is rapidly moving across Finland.

That we had to take Annikki's mother to the Old People's Home on Wednesday was a daunting thought, thinking of how we struggled for over an hour to bring her in the last time we brought her home.

I had been to the Disabled Person's Equipment Centre and reported our problem. They arrived yesterday morning with a wheelchair so that we could take her in and out of the house in a wheelchair rather than make her walk down the few stairs.

However, they discovered that using the wheelchair would not be so easy. They have organised for the building department experts to come in and evaluate how best to modify the stairs at the entrance into the house so that we can wheel her in and out comfortably.

Annikki had her mother ready by around 15:00 hours. We decided to try and walk her out as usual. The situation soon became one of great panic. We had to give up. We had her sit in the wheelchair and we sat down and thought. Annikki was sweating profusely and even had to change her shirt, which was something considering the ambient temperature was -20 C.

We decided we would call an Invalid Taxi to take Hilja to the Home. That sort of solved the problem as taxi drivers in Finland know exactly how to handle whheelchairs in difficult situations.

We were so tired that Annikki gave up her traditional visit to the Fleamarket after dropping her mother.

Today the temperature was around -27 C.

I posted a warning to our foreign friends in Oulu on my CHAFF blog.

In the evening today I took Annikki on her round of her favourite fleamarkets.

Usually I sit in the car and wait for her. This time it was far to cold to wait in the car. So I popped into the fleamarket and carried one of the 3 books by Alex Alexander that I had received today.

Reading book by Alex in the Fleamarket

Waiting for Annikki in the Fleamarket
I read some of the short stories by Alex Alexander


I have read the first few short stories. Being Indian and knowing the context of our thinking in all sorts of situations, I really appreciate Alex's humour as well as his writing style.

I am looking forward at finishing all the three books over the weekend. Judging from what I have read so far, I feel they will all be good reads.

No comments: