Friday, November 06, 2009

Bit rushed this moning

I came down as usual to do my blog at 5 am, but Sashank had unfortunately closed the door of the apartment, so I could not get in. He was awake and playing his flute. So I sat outside and listened to him. Glorious.

Then the rain came down and the power went off - so I went back and lay down till the power came on again -8 am!

This reminded me of some of the issues of why I had not been happy to live in India - no, not the rain, but the constant power breakdowns, was one of them.

Yesterday was a day to meet old friends - and the first is one of the most quiet yet powerful men in India. Ratnam was a trusted member of the MRF team till his retirement 3 years ago. He uses his power wisely and never to harm anyone. He keeps to himself and never interferes with anyone. We sat and chatted for two hours and he insisted that I have breakfast with him and his son. I met his 12 year old granddaughter and his daughter-in-law. Ratnam told me that unlike others, he was able to open up and share his thoughts with me - I felt so wonderful to have a friend like him, a friendship which has stood the test of time.

I picked up Annikki and Mika and we went to the beach - Anniki's greatest pleasure. We walked to the sea front where the heavy waves were pounding the seashore and a few guys were braving the onslaught.

We enjoyed the walk in the hot sun, while Mika parked himself on the beach sand till we returned.

Then it was time for a Chettinad lunch at a restaurant called Anjappar - and this was new to Annikki. Both she and Mika enjoyed the Biriyani with the Chettinad curry, while I had a great thali meal. We also enjoyed the typical Chettinad fish fry!

Annikki did some shopping and all of us were exhausted. A rest, and then I was off to see my cousins Mrs. & Mr. E. J. Lukose (Amnikochamma and Kunjuchayan) and Mrs. K. G. Kuruvilla (Accakuttykochamma. Moments shared that I cannot forget with two of my elder #sisters".

Back to pick up Annikki and Mika for another dinner - and it was just too much that Annikki and I could hardly finish what was on our plates. Mika downed his fried rice and fish curry with great relish.

I have not changed my mind about Bangalore and Chennai. But Chennai residents have warned me that the tide may turn and they too may be sucked into this global expansion which is nothing but chaos. I sincerely hope not.

As we came home we could hear the flute and we hoped that these values would remain.

No comments: