Monday, November 30, 2009

Bluetooth gives me a red eye

We reached New Delhi on Sunday about noon. Meeting us at the airport were two cars. As soon as the driver saw me, he called out my name. I recognized him.

He had joined MRF, Delhi, as a young boy potential driver in 1963, my last year in St. Stephens College. He served MRF and one of MRF's top executives in Delhi for 42 years till his retirement. Since his retirement he has been driving his own tourist taxi and he had been sent to pick us up. The last time I had seen him was when he had dropped Annikki, the family and me at the airport when we had left for Finland in 1984.

We renewed our old friendship of the last 46 years as he drove us to the Guest House

Although there was internet connectivity at the Guest House, I was unable to enter my computer as for some reason both the Bluetooth Mouse and Keyboard gave up the ghost. So I was unable to reach my readers in the morning.

I went to visit Deepak, who has become such a good friend over the last year. He organised to get me a USB keyboard. But I think he deliberately told his office manager to be slow about it as it gave us the time to really have a chat. -)

And we found that besides our Cathedral connection we had so many common friends. His partner is the first cousin of my dearest of friends, Ajay Verma, who lives in Lund , Sweden and is presently in Pondicherry.

We had another common friend in Balan, who was the brains behind the setting up of the MRF Pace Foundation. And through him I got to two more of my very dear Delhi friends, Krish Veerappen and Nair, both former MRF employees who have started a great company on their own, selling helicopters! these twoguys are so enterprising, and dont I know it!

I am really looking forward to meeting this side of my family!

Deepak and I spent more than 3 hours together.

The life story of Deepak and his time since school was most fascinating. He had me enthralled with my ears glued open till he finished recounting a history of great adventure, worthy of a book in itself!

New Delhi, or at least South Delhi, is as if you are in another country.

So before we give you an assessment of this Indian Capital, let me look at all the facets of this city.

Lunch yesterday was at Pandara Road market, our college days haunt. Evening included a visit to Khan Market. I am getting a feel of Delhi.

No comments: