Friday, November 13, 2009

Reunion Day Two is over - i am feeling deflated already!

Today I wanted to get a coat for the Founder’s day Service and the photographs. i went to Colaba Causeway in the morning to my old tailor in Rajsi and found that they no longer had a tailor. On to Grand Bazaar and I found that was now a Reebok shop.

I went to a Raymond's shop and they did not have my size.

I was walking down the street thinking where I should go, and I remembered that my mom used to take me somewhere in Crawford Market for my school blazers - yes, blazers in plural, as I kept growing out of my old ones. I saw a taxi driver across the street staring at me as if he had seen a ghost!

As his car was pointing in the right direction I went over and got in. This guy was convinced that I was Amitabh Bachan. He was from Benares and spoke a beautiful poetic Hindi, but his fixation about me being someone had him transfixed.

I asked him to go to Crawford Market. Sure enough he took me there, talking non-stop about “my” films.

When I told him I wanted to buy a coat, he told me he would take me to Dadar, which he said was the “home of coats”.

En route, he told me great stories about Kalidas and Tulsidas, stopping to get a pan for himself on the way. I declined his kind offer.

We were soon in Dadar in front of a shop which sold the most exquisitely designed coats, with gold sequins, many Bollywood Style. My taxi driver was sure I would come out wearing a stunner.

The shop owner was quite disappointed when I told him I wanted a blazer type coat. He produced one and it was too short. Then a colleague said that they had two large ones somewhere and came across to help. After rummaging through the shelves they found two black coats, and sure enough they fitted. One was labelled Rs. 3000 and he offered it to me at Rs. 2000. The second one was Rs. 3500 and he offered it to me at Rs. 2500. I had tried on a similar style one in Raymond's and it had been labeled at Rs. 10000.

I bought it without hesitation and decided to head back home, having accomplished my days work. I had more stories and poetry on the way. I was glad to pay this guy Rs. 300 for an couple of hours if great enjoyment and ego boosting. I think he remained convinced that I was Amitabh in mufti, even as he sped off!

Oh, I forgot to mention that Gita rang earlier to tell me that the green grass lawn was bone dry and fit for our party on Friday evening. I activated all mechanisms to get the place ready.

I rested in the afternoon (after a Chicken Biriyani delivered to our residence) and was ready to go our most favourite childhood haunt - St. Jame’s Court, well ahead of time. But as the caretaker of the Guest House had taken his grandchild to the doctor we had to wait till 9 pm before we could leave.

We arrived at the same time as Rivca and Ooky, and as we were walking into the building we saw ELVIS. Togged up and standing at the lift was someone in an amazing Elvis white outfit. We got the shock of our lives - but I quickly recovered as under all the dressing I saw Vikram Savara. It was hilarious.

Rivca, annikki and I went up. As soon as I got to the top floor I alerted the cameramen. The entry of Vicky Elvis was recorded for posterity.

The evening was simply wonderful. Booze flowed freely and I had several Sprites. This evening I focused on my friends from abroad - Arvind, Armeane, David, Hasnain, Peter, Vicky and some old timers who did not quite know everyone there, as Inderjeet.

We had two other Elvis dressers - Shivi and Percy, and both looked great. It was fun to see all of them move on the dance floor, despite the age. Naubir was swift on the floor as well as he twirled our Elvisphile, Piloo. Ketty, who had told me the night before that she was a secret elvis fan, did not take to the floor.

I did not see a under the legs slide attempted. I am sure no one was fit enough or young enough for that type of antics! It was a little strange to see our 59er "Elvis" sitting quietly. He was missing his better half, Purnima, who was not there as she was tending her mother.

It was simply amazing to see our 59er crowd still enjoying themselves in our childlike ways, as it brought home many many memories of our school socials. Piloo recalled the game we had played at a party in my Meher Mansion home. When the music stopped, the newspaper we were dancing on had to be folded in half. Wow! (I wonder who won?)

The "Evening under the Stars" was a 5-star event. The view from Vijay’s place over Marine Drive was simply breathtaking. Unfortunately, my little Cannon was unable to get a good picture of that sight. It looked as if this terrace roof was sitting atop a golden necklace.

Before we knew it, dinner was served inside. It was a simply grand meal. The desserts were great - hot jileebis, rasmalai, cheese cake and blueberry cake. I had much more than I should have.

And after a wonderful evening, it was soon time to go home.

Today is our party. I am in for some tough work all day as I try to get the occasion set in the mood we want. If you are attending, do not be late - 19:30, as the occasion has a different flavour to what you have experienced in the previous two days. The location has not been changed.

The REUNION continues and it is an experience that all of us seem to be enjoying. I hope it is so! But I am already thinking that soon it will end. I am feeling terrible that I will soon part company with so many wonderful people that I love so much. Deflation has commenced!

No comments: