Tuesday, November 10, 2009

Last day in Chennai; On to Mumbai

Please accept my apologies - I mentioned Meyer Hillel as a girl - Here is Gracie's email:

Jacob,

Meyer Hillel

He was in my sister Vilma's Class, of 53. In fact, they were born in the same Hospital in Bombay as their Birthdays are in October.

It was a great sadness to hear of his Early Passing away in Israel where he lived and he was a famous Rabbi Spiritualist. He helped many people who were in bad health.

I hope that his sister, June, will write something about him, later.

I believe he was in Blue house. He was in Bombay for his 50th Re-union. I have not spoken to June yet as Mourning and prayers go on for 7 days.

Freddie Sopher was the brother of Solomon Sopher [who passed away many years ago as a result of Leukemia.] He studied to be a Dr like his Brother David in the J. J.Hospital in Bombay. Freddy is his elder Brother and was so well known in Bombay as he took care of the Bombay Jewish Synagogue and was in Fro men's Travel Book. To stop by and meet Freddy. He would take congregants to his home Friday and Saturday afternoon for Lunch and Dinner and Friday. All this for the Sabbath. A good man he was and A Big Heart.

He was a true Jewish Indian at heart. I am not sure what class he was in probably early Forties or late thirties. I still have to find out.

The same with Ruby Hayeem. Both Old Timers!

Ellis leave for Bombay tomorrow. I know he is VERY Excited about it.

Thinking of all of you.

Cheers

Gracie


53er Sen Philip was shocked to hear of Meyer's passing as he had spoken to him just a few weeks earlier. He had mentioned that he was sick, but not that ill.

My last day in Chennai was as hectic as the rest. I left home at 7 am to go to the Osler Diagnostic Clinic where I had had the Executive Check Up done 10 years earlier. It had changed slightly, but it is not like a train station as Apollo. I was the first patient and things moved quickly, but the doctors were late in arriving, so half way through I got blocked. However, once they got there, things continued till they told me I had to go and get something to eat to do another blood test.

I ate at Murgan's Idli Centre, which in Madras is as famous as MTR. The Idli, Masala Doasi and the complimentary Vada, were of superb quality. The place was clean and hygienic. I was served on the traditional banana leaf. So it is not a thing from the past as this restaurant has been using the leaf all the while.

I went back to the Clinic, and they then told me to come back an hour and a half later!

So I went home, packed and came back for the blood test. I had a meeting with the doctor who told me that physically I was in good shape, but he could not comment fully as the biochemistry results would only be with him in the evening. He promised that the results will be couriered to me in Mumbai and that I could ring him whenever I wanted.

We said farewell to Shashank and his wife, Shiri, and Shashank’s mother. Shahsank had made a compilation CD / DVD especially for me. Annikki and I are hoping to listen to it shortly.

Dr. Subramanyam had taken his daughter for a recording session and had said goodbye to Annikki. I am sure we will hear more of this young lady very soon.

We loaded the car and went to the book shop recommended by Abe - Odessy, in Adayar. Annikki found her slim book about Indian Butterflies!

On to Radisson for lunch and then to the airport.

We bade farewell to our driver Thirumeni, who had re-educated us about Chennai. A wonderful personality and extremely caring. A fund of knowledge considering his 28 years as a tourist taxi driver in Chennai.

The Mumbai flight was Air India crew but in an Indian Airlines marked plane. The service was much more streamlined and professional than the other Indian airlines we have flown in so far. And the soft drinks and dinner were free. Nothing to write home about, but still it was welcome to get a meal before we landed in Mumbai.

We had a new driver, Mahesh, us in Mumbai. He spoke Hindi and Marathi. He considered himself a refugee from Delhi, having settled here in Mumbai many years ago.

I dropped Annikki at the Malayala Manorama Guest House and got dropped at the Willingdon Club where the Cathedralite 64ers were having a session. I was welcomed like their family. The discussions were quite expressive at times. This was the first time I was personally meeting another year Group - and it proved to be quite an interesting evening.

Of course, a few of them did not know me, my blogs, my life in Finland nor my work as a social worker. How could they! Hopefully they will read our blogs and see that the actions speak louder than the words that Annikki and I put on the pages of our many blogs.

I was so happy to hear that many present are following these daily updates. I was also so glad to meet a fellow Mac User - I am an avid Mac User, like all Mac users!

It was so nice to meet all these who so far had only been images on my blog. A lovely crowd, and I was able to share a few words with all of them.

I promised to make an appearance at their reunion party on the 11th. It clashes with our own 59er party at the Bombay Gym, hosted by Viney and Ooky. However, they have managed to get Mr. J. P D'Souza and probably Mr. Jagdish Pande to attend, and I hope to have these two teachers can attend Annikki's and my get-together "An Evening with the Findians" on the 13th. Fingers crossed.

Mumbai is pleasant, but there were unseasonal showers late last night. Many of our reunion events are outdoors, so we have to keep our fingers crossed that dry weather prevails!

Today I have a few important people to meet from my pst life in Germany and Mumbai. Annikki can rest till the evening programme sets in. Brief you tomorrow - so till then, stay well.

No comments: