Saturday, November 07, 2009

A great Saturday

Saturday is Annikki’s Sabbath and a day of rest. I located the Seventh Day Adventist Church in Vepery. We found the road filled with churches - but the Seventh Day Adventist one was the only one open on Saturday.

We arrived in the middle of the Tamil Service, so I dropped off Annikki and went to see Moore Market, one of my childhood haunts. Learnt it had burnt down in 1985 (some said it was a controlled arson) and found it filled with bookshops and pet shops.

A most depressing place except that I found an electronic's shop which put a new cover to my ancient Finnish Nokia phone, giving it a new lease of life for just Rs. 40 (€ 0.60)!

The guy was so nice that he took out the original keypad from my dilapidated old case and gave it to m. He told me that the new one would last only a short time after which I should put in the old keypad which would last me another lifetime!!

The rain was not abating and many Madras streets were flooded. The Toyota Inova with its high axle height was getting through whereas all around us auto rickshaws and cars were stalling - mainly because of the backwash into the exhaust.

When I reached the church, the English service was still on. I sat through a one hour sermon. Maybe it had meaning to the others, but to me the preacher was repeating what I have heard from different points of view sitting in the front pew in St. Thomas Cathedral, Bombay in the 50s when I was a choir boy.

I do not like sermons because of those 5 years where every Sunday evening I had sat in the front row listening the priest or the bishop rant on and on as they had to! They were expected to say something and spend 15 to 20 minutes - so they took up some topic just so as to fill that time. In my 5 years I probably heard just two sermons that held some meaning and had a message which I still remember!

Off to pick up Mika and lunch - Chinese again.

Recharged my Indian phone with another Rs. 2002 of airtime! This time they gave it as something known as "Full Talk" which meant I did not lose 10% as tax.

Then it was visit time and we went to see Ammnikochamma and Kunjuchayan (Dr. Mrs. and Mr. E. J. Lukose) as they had not been able to attend the family dinner. Finished the last two family visits of my generation, Senchayan (Sen Philip) and Kunjumonchayan and Ommenakochamma (Mr. & Mrs. Mammen Eapen). In the last we had the opportunity to meet their daughter and their two kids again. Truly wonderful family. Love them all.

Dinner was at a place recommended by our niece - Cedars, a Mediterranean restaurant. It was an unique experience of wonderful food and extraordinary service.

Service in most Indian restaurants of all types has generally been good - but this was outstanding as the waiter was able to really fulfill our needs in every way and lead us through a gastronomic delight. Not heavy but simply marvellous.

One of our top experiences in India and a change from our routine of Indian / Chinese - Indian cuisine.

Back home to hear a long philosophical chat between our 5 year old grandson in Newcastle and Annikki. Listening to his advice to his Grandma had me in splits of laughter. At one point he asked whether Annikki knew their house number in Newcastle so she would not get lost when she went there. When Annikki told him that she thought it was 36, Daniel told her that she was close - he told her it was 27!!! :-)

Dr. Subramanyam was there when we got home wanting to host us to lunch or dinner, before we left, which I sadly had to decline because of our heavy calendar booking for the next two days.

When I told him that his daughter's flute music was as good as his son's and I asked when she would perform, he confided in me that he wanted to be sure that he did not commit the same mistake twice. He had allowed his son, Sashank, to start his performance career at 12 with his first concert in Australia. He had neglected Sashank's general education and although Sashank had provided for the family for the last 21 years with his brilliance, there was always a nagging feeling that he had denied his son the chance of a general education.

He had made up his mind he would not follow the same course with his daughter. So her career as a flautist was second to her "education".

I may not agree with Dr. Subramanyam as the sounds from his daughter's flute are so unique that she is complementary to Sashank. I wish her a glorious career as a flautist. And she has a wonderful natural personality which will be a great asset in her career.

Many of you have written to me about the behaviour of my siblings and their spouses which i had mentioned in my last posting. It is their loss - not mine! Annikki and I were in no way disturbed by their absence at the family gathering - which showed that they did not belong to the family. Thank God!

No comments: