Saturday, November 14, 2009

Alumni Dinner

Apologies - Several of you wondered where my posts had gone after Day 2. By some quirk, they entries had gone into another of my blogs. I have shifted them back to my main blog, so go backwards to read everything after Day 2!!)

After our hasty retreat from the Church, we left home at around 20:45 to go to the Blue Sea on Worli Sea Face for the Alumni Dinner. (Just to tell you that 56er Ubi had brought me an Old Boys tie to wear at the Church. What a thoughtful gesture.)



The Blue Sea Event was a huge affair - with over 600 people attending. I was greeted by the Alumni co-President Viral Doshi who said that he had a present for me and that I should see him before I left.

Annikki was exhausted. I soon found a large round table. 59er David and wife, Jane, and Annikki and I sat down there. We found that this table had been reserved for us 59ers.

It was HOT under the canopy and within a few minutes I was consuming gallons of soft drinks.

People of all years were searching for me. I realised now how widespread my blog was being read. Knowing I was attending, alumni of all years were asking others if they knew me and whether I would meet up with them! Crazy!

Everyone wanted to call me for dinner or give me some present. 64er Rustom sent me a box of dried fruits. 69er Prakash sent me a hilarious "head scratcher" and a car seat briefcase hanger while he sent Annikki a beautiful pair of earrings. Annikki does not wear earrings but she knows what to do with what she got. 54er Sadhana had a key chain for me and gift vouchers for Annikki! A candle holder and candle from......, and so on. Thanks to all of you. But no more presents - Please? This blog is for our fun - not to promote myself!

I met 54ers Ravi Jaitly, Rolf Sonawalla. 54er MP Rahul Bajaj came to greet me. I chatted with 52er Yoku Hamied CEO of Cipla, 57er Shyam Chainani, the well known environmentalist and Roxanne Davur, who is running the Terra Anima Trust for Animal Welfare. I met 63er Ashok Adavani of Business India. 49er Yezad Kapadia was around and wanted to speak more at the Delhi get-together organised by the Delhi Chapter. All the 64ers who I had already met came to say hello and brought more friends.

Many were friends from the past. Many were my heros while at school. Yoku had left before I joined school, but he was active in the Kanga League and I used to go and see our Old Boys Team cricket play. I told both Yoku and Shyam of the wonderful work that they have been doing - one bringing the Indian Pharmaceutical business into the limelight internationally and the other for setting the tone for India in the environmental context. I am sure that Roxanne can do with all the help any of you can give her.

I met 69er Sheeba Eapen, younger sister of late 59er Jacob Eapen. Sheeba is a friend of my Italian contributor, 69er Barbara. Sheeba has promised me some photographs of our 59er and a short write up about him.

It was wonderful to meet up with 54er Zarine Aga and her husband Minoo. Zarine has become a dear friend.

As I wandered around I was stopped every few metres - I was greatly embarrassed by this as I could not respond with my usual "I know you" response. People talked to me about our late cat, my late mother-in-law, Annikki's snowmen and her cakes. People knew us intimately and I did not know them.

59er Farhana brought her son, also a Cathedralite, to meet me. What a wonderful youngster.

Madhu, Ashok's wife, to whom I had given one copy of our Class Directory told me that once she had reached home, she had read the whole book from cover to cover - a great tribute to Annikki and me from a good friend.

Annikki declined to have dinner. she was in great suffering. I made an attempt to eat the wonderful spread of food - but the heat made the food unappetising.

By now the sound in the hall had become unbearable. I wonder what it was like in the dance hall? I decided to call it a day as we had to set off early today by car for Alibaug.

Alumni co-President, Viral Doshi had a special gift for me.



This is the Alumni Tie which is being released for the 150th year celebration of the school. It is indeed a grand gesture and in return I gifted one copy of our 59ers Directory of our Golden Reunion to the Alumni.

They are planning a similar publication for the 150th year celebrations. The stakes have been raised and they have to come with a publication better than what we 59ers have turned out.

Our reunion, the 59ers, is certainly the Mother of All Reunions, the reputation of which will be further enhanced tomorrow when we proceed for a day of fun and games at Alibaug.'

Thank you Alumni for the signal honour -I love you all and I love to blog for you. Keep those emails coming, but do also let me have a photo, so that next time I can identify you and not be embarrassed that only you know me.

So by 10:30 we were in our taxi driving back to the Guest House. Both of us were exhausted, but i decided to complete the entry. Unfortunately some error was being generated, so i could not post this entry till the morning.

Stay tuned for more.

No comments: