Thursday, November 26, 2009

Gandhian philosophy

26/11 and I woke up this morning remembering all those who lost their lives last year on this tragic day in Mumbai. Especially, our dearest Ashok.



Annikki and I remembered Madhu and her children, their spouses and her grandchild, who should bring a new breath into Madhu’s life.



In the evening we went to the Kocharab Harijan Ashram to which Mahatma Gandhi returned to after his South African spell. We were given a personal guided tour by a wonderful man, Mr. Ramesh Trivedi, who looks after the place. The minute we mentioned Finland, he proudly pulled out his mobile phone and said "Nokia". He gave us a most refreshing lemon and ginger drink. He would not accept any money from us for anything.

I explained to him the history of Nokia as a small town and its entry into mobile phones and the role of the University of Oulu, Microelectronics Laboratory, in the process in the late 1980s.

It was fascinating to get a personal picture, from Mr. Trivedi, of the life of Mahatmaji, his distrust for the law process and the denial of justice for the common man, much of which has not changed around the world even today.

While discussing Mahatmaji, I asked Mr. Trivedi the question we had posed on the blog earlier today, as to what Act Gandhi would have opposed to draw terrorism to a close.



Mr. Trivedi immediately produced a special invitation for Annikki and me to attend, that very evening, a lecture by Prof. Johan Galtung, the subject being "State Terrorism and Non-State Terrorism; A Gandhian Inspired Action Plan from Violence to Non-Violence".

We were indeed most fortunate to be able to attend this lecture by this Norwegian professor who has been active from as far back as 1959 in peace negotiations around the world - Somalia, Yugoslavia, Northern Ireland, Basque area of Spain, France, North and South Korea, Sri Lanka, Israel, Palestine, etc., etc.

Prof. Galtung is driven by Gandhian values and for 40 years he has been at the forefront of international peace generating activities. He has written 140 books, translated to 33 languages, and authored over 1500 articles reflecting an original thinking across an incredible broad range of issues including Mahatma Gandhi and his philosophy, Non-Violence. Last week, he was talking to the CIA, etc., etc. His a work without an end as conflicts are growing by the hour.

Although Prof Galtung spoke on all the major issues that drive international and Indian domestic terrorism (including suggesting a solution to the Indo-Pak Kashmir issue), he could not come up with and answer to what we had asked on our blog yesterday.

Earlier today, I had a let down in my euphoria about the ICICI Bank. They had been so good in opening the account, but when it came to internet banking, they have far too many glitches for someone who has had a trouble free internet banking experience with Nordea Bank over the last 20 years.

First I discovered that for Fund Transfer to another ICICI customer, I needed yet another password, and that would take almost a week to get hold of. Then this morning, when I tried to log into my account, I was told that for security reasons I would have to log in using my original login details provided by the bank. When that failed, I was told I had two more attempts before my account would be locked. So I used the login details that I had changed as soon as I had activated the internet banking facility. That also failed.

Instead of losing my last attempt, I went to the nearest ICICI branch and explained my problem. The officers had a great deal of problem understanding this simple problem. In their presence and following their instructions, I made my final attempt and it failed, locking me out of my ICICI account altogether.

Luckily, I still had access to my Finnish bank accounts, so I was not left penniless.

It is obvious that ICICI have not thought through their internet banking experience. They can certainly put a lot of people into hot water if their accounts behave the way my account has been locked out. And as they have a very aggressive investment division, pushing people to do this and that, it could lead to utter chaos. And even after this, they could not understand why I had reservations about following their advice!

I have bills to pay and travel money to use, all locked away till I, probably, get access again, next Monday, in New Delhi.

So be wary of any internet banking system with any bank in India, as they may have great software engineers in this country, but they do not have the skills demanded for a site which has extra security demands.

Emails are still pouring in about the views we have expressed about India. But, today, the tide turned dramatically with 100% of the respondents supporting our opinions and views. They all agreed that India is a Garbage Dump, a horrendous one at that.

We do hope that we can bring around those who have been most verbose about this to think positively so that we can do something to make this country better and prevent what we see as a terminal decline!

2 comments:

ICICI Bank Care said...

Dear Jacob,

We're sorry to hear about your experience.

Please write to us with your contact details and account number at care@icicibank.com. We'll contact you and work to address your issue.

Regards,
ICICI Customer Service Team.

ICICI Bank Care said...

Dear Jacob,

We're sorry to hear about your experience.

Please write to us with your contact details and account number at care@icicibank.com. We'll contact you and work to address your issue.

Regards,
ICICI Customer Service Team.