Sunday, November 08, 2009

Our day in Cochin

I had missed posting my blog entru of our day in Cochin on Thursday October 29th.

We had arrived the previous evening, which we spent at the Cochin Guest House of Malayala Manorama and they had served us a great dinner.

I was up early on the 29th and found only the Malayala Manorama newspaper. I asked Dennis to get me an English newspaper. He got me some local business publication. As I thumbed through it I saw a picture. I glanced at the caption and it mentioned an International Standards Organisation Conference being held in Cochin. Stting in the middle of the photo was my very best friend from my days at the National College of Rubber Technology, London, from the mid 1960s.

I had not met Christie Robert since 1966 when we had finished our course.

I rang the hotel where the conference had been held. I was put through to Christie.

My driver arrived earlier than I had asked him.

I rushed off to the hotel and sat over breakfast with Christie. It was so wonderful to meet up with my old friend and his nephew, who incidentally lives in Lund in Sweden, where another best friend from my days at St. Stephen's, Ajay Verma and his family, live.

Rushed back to the Guest House. Mika, Annikki and I went to Thambi and Bina's (Mr. & Mrs. Philip Mathew) place for breakfast.

What a wonderful garden. Overlooking the river, the view is extraordinary, and the garden is simply marvellous. Annikki and I were in raptures over the garden.

Bina served up a wonderful breakfast of everything we just adore and miss in our lives in Finland. They are a wonderful couple. They are unique. With Thambi's two brothers and their wives who make up the great team that drives Malayala Manorama and all its associated publications.

Then it was off to the airport, but on the way we stopped at Kalamesserry, where my cousin Sarasukochmma and her husband, Annikunjuchayan (Mrs. a& Mrs. P. V. Jacob) live. I had last visited this house in 1958 (51 years ago) when it had just been built. I remember it as if it was yesterday and I was surprised to find that Sarasukochamma also recalled that visit.

The whole of that road is in chaos, so they have decided to sell the house and move to Kottayam, where two of their sons now live.

Then on to the airport. We had some time to spare so we decided to rest at the Malayala Manorama Guest House just next to the airport. What a wonderful building, designed by Nina, who is Apu's wife. Apu, is Sarasukochamma's eldest son.

Not only is the design unique and practical, and especially designed so that our uncles, Peelukuttychayan (97) and Mathukuttychayan (93) can use it when they arrive in Kerala. it is just 2 minutes from the airport.

Our flight was at 14:00 hours, so we were taken to the airport at 13:30 to be greeted by a Malayala Manorama representative who rushed us, with no hassle, through the check in formalities and sent us through the Security right into the waiting plane.

What wonderful organisation. Kudos again to my trio of cousins who run the Malayala Manorama in a manner which is exemplary! Wish India was run like this!!!

1 comment:

christie robert said...

Hi Jacob,
It was great to meet with after all these years. It brought back memories of our time in the 60's at the National College in London. In fact I last saw you and Anikki when I visited RAPRA in 1967. You put me up in your home in Shawbury and both you and Annikki were very hospitable to me.
Incidentally, Roger Brown continues to participate in the ISO/TC45 meetings and remembers you with much affection.
Best to you Annikki and family.
Christie